WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.


Photo #  NH 101983:  Tug Jack T. Scully in port, possibly in the New York City area

Online Library of Selected Images:

Jack T. Scully (Harbor Tug, 1899).
Later renamed Mariner.
Served as USS Mariner (SP-1136) in 1917-1918

Jack T. Scully, a 220 gross ton harbor tug, was built in 1899 at Tottenville, Staten Island, New York. She was later renamed Mariner and shortly afterwards, in September 1917, was delivered to the Navy for World War I service. Placed in commission in December as USS Mariner (SP-1136), she operated in the New York Harbor area and in Long Island Sound. On 26 February 1918 the tug foundered in a storm off Long Island. Her crew was rescued by USS Wadena.

This page features all available views concerning the harbor tug Jack T. Scully, which served as USS Mariner (SP-1136) in 1917-1918.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 101983

Jack T. Scully
(U.S. Harbor Tug, 1899)

Photographed circa 1917, probably in the New York City area. This tug was taken over by the Navy on 25 September 1917, shortly after being renamed Mariner. Placed in commission on 19 December 1917 as USS Mariner (SP-1136), she was lost in a storm off Long Island, New York, on 26 February 1918.
A Pennsylvania Railroad ferryboat is in the background.

The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 65KB; 740 x 525 pixels

This photograph was previously identified, incorrectly, as Jack Scully (ID-2289), a smaller tug built in 1891 that was formerly named H.M.C. Smith.


Another related photograph:

  • The original print for Photo # NH 99408 was mounted on the official data card for USS Mariner (SP-1136), with the name "Mariner" hand written on its border. It shows a tug underway, but this vessel appears to be much smaller than Jack T. Scully (later USS Mariner), as presented elsewhere on this page. It is probably another tug, possibly also named Mariner.

    Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

    Page made 20 August 2004