WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.


Photo #  NH 65134:  S.S. Munalbro, later USS Munalbro, circa 1916

Online Library of Selected Images:

S.S. Munalbro (American Collier, 1916)
Served as USS Munalbro (no ID #) in 1918-1919.
Later S.S. James L. Richards

Munalbro, a 4293 gross ton (9220 tons displacement) collier, was built at Newport News, Virginia, in 1916. Her initial World War I service was performed under U.S. Army charter, but in September 1918 she was taken over by the Navy, placed in commission as USS Munalbro (no ID number was assigned) and employed as a freighter. After loading general Army cargo at Newport News, the ship joined a convoy at New York and proceeded to France, where she delivered her cargo at La Pallice, St. Nazaire, and Nantes during October 1918. Returning to Norfolk, Virginia, in November, Munalbro loaded a cargo of Army general supplies in December and delivered it to Quiberon, France, in January 1919. In February she brought Army cargo back from Nantes to New York. USS Munalbro was decommissioned in March 1919 and returned to the U.S. Shipping Board for simultaneous delivery to her owners, the Munson Steamship Company of New York. Her subsequent commercial service extended for three and a half decades. She was renamed James L. Richards in 1936 and scrapped in 1954.

This page features all available views concerning the American collier Munalbro, which was USS Munalbro in 1918-1919 and later S.S. James L. Richards.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 65134

S.S. Munalbro
(American collier, 1916)

Probably photographed soon after completion in 1916 by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Virginia. This collier was in commission as USS Munalbro (with no ID # assigned) from September 1918 to March 1919.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 54KB; 740 x 490 pixels

Photo #: NH 1341

S.S. Munalbro
(American collier, 1916)

At Norfolk, Virginia, in December 1917, probably after receiving her armament at the Norfolk Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. This ship was chartered by the Army in September 1917 and was in commission as USS Munalbro from 17 September 1918 to 21 March 1919.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 61KB; 740 x 510 pixels


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 2 December 2007