William N. Page, a 5438 gross ton freighter with collier features, was built in 1918 at Camden, New Jersey, for the U.S. Shipping Board. She was taken over by the Navy upon completion in December 1918 and placed in commission as USS William N. Page (ID # 3844). Operated by the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, the ship made two round-trip voyages to France between January and May 1919. Decommissioned at the end of the latter month, she was returned to the Shipping Board. William N. Page's subsequent commercial career lasted until the later 1940s.
This page features all available views of the freighter William N. Page, which served as USS William N. Page (ID # 3844) in 1918-1919.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 65115-A
S.S. William N. Page (American Freighter, 1918)
Off the shipyard of her builder, the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey, at the time of her completion in late 1918. USS Idaho (Battleship # 42) is visible in the left background.
This ship was acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 18 December 1918 as USS William N. Page (ID # 3844). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 31 May 1919.
The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.
U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.
Online Image: 78KB; 740 x 610 pixels
Page made 25 March 2004
New image added 6 December 2008