USS Nero (1898-1922) -- 1912 Alaskan Radio Stations and Settlements

 

This page presents photographs of radio stations and settlements in Alaska visited by USS Nero during the 1912 Alaskan Radio Expedition. This expedition built a new radio station on the island of Unalga and an auxiliary station on St. George in the Pribilofs and also performed additional work at stations built by previous expeditions. Nero was at Dutch Harbor and Unalga from 2 June to 1 August, at St. George and St. Paul in the Pribilof Islands from 3 to 26 August, back at Unalga and Dutch Harbor from 29 August to 8 September, at Cordova from 14 September to 10 October, at Kodiak from 12 October to 5 November, and at Sitka from 8 to 13 November 1912.

This page features views related to USS Nero's participation in the 1912 Alaskan Radio Expedition.

For other images concerning this ship, see:

  • USS Nero (1898-1922, later AC-17)
  • USS Nero -- 1912 Alaskan Radio Expedition
  • USS Nero -- 1912 Alaskan Radio Equipment

  • Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

    Photo #: None

    Radio station at Unalga, Alaska, 1912


    The last section of the west mast with a flag on top being raised to the top of the mast using a temporary boom. A man is standing on top of the mast to receive and secure it. Photographed by USS Nero.

    Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF-165-A).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

     
    Photo #: None

    Radio station at St. Paul, Pribilof Islands, Alaska, 1912


    The completed station with the twin station buildings between the two antenna masts, photographed by USS Nero.

    Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF-165-A).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

     
    Photo #: None

    Village of St. Paul, Pribilof Islands, Alaska, 1912


    The village on St. Paul Island, photographed by USS Nero.

    Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF-165-A).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

     
    Photo #: None

    Radio station at Cordova, Alaska, 1912


    The completed station. The building on the left was nearer the shore and was called the cottage. Photographed by USS Nero.

    Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF-165-A).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

     
    Photo #: None

    Radio station at Cordova, Alaska, 1912


    The completed station, photographed by USS Nero. A power house and several large fuel tanks were behind the main building. A third tower was added between the original two towers by the 1914 expedition. Its position is crudely sketched in pencil on this photo.


    Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF-165-A).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

     
    Photo #: None

    Radio station at Kodiak, Alaska, 1912


    The completed station on Woody Island opposite the village of Kodiak, photographed by USS Nero. An auxiliary radio station was located on the mainland at the rear of the Customs Reservation in Kodiak to communicate with the station.

    Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF-165-A).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

     
    Photo #: None

    Radio station at Sitka, Alaska, 1912


    The radio station on Japonsky Island just to the right of the naval coaling station and opposite the town of Sitka. Photographed by USS Nero.

    Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF-165-A).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

     
    Photo #: None

    Town of Sitka, Alaska, 1912


    The waterfront of Sitka, Alaska, facing Japonsky Island on which the radio station was located. Photographed by USS Nero.

    Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation (NHF-165-A).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

     


    For other images concerning this ship, see:

  • USS Nero (1898-1922, later AC-17)
  • USS Nero -- 1912 Alaskan Radio Expedition
  • USS Nero -- 1912 Alaskan Radio Equipment

    Page made 21 April 2021