Andromeda (AKA-15) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

USS Centaurus (AKA-17)

An early Federal-built unit underway on 10 May 1944 as originally built with no radar mast amidships.
This ship's only radar antenna, for surface search, is on the fore topmast just above the lookout station. This ship was one of many on the Navy list manned by the Coast Guard during World War II.

Photo No. 26-G-05-10-44(5)
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command (Coast Guard photo)

 
USS Virgo (AKA-20)

Photographed on 16 December 1944 by the U. S. Naval Drydocks, Hunters Point, San Francisco, Calif., with her newly-fitted lattice radar mast.
Three of the six early Federal-built units (AKA-17, 19, and 20) had this type of radar mast added between April and December 1944, all at this yard, while the other three received pole masts. This lattice mast was similar to the one fitted in the later Moore-built units but was located further forward and supported the small anti-aircraft fire control director that was mounted on a stand over the bridge in the Moore ships.

Photo No. 19-N-81312
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Montague (AKA-98)

A later Federal-built unit photographed by the New York Navy Yard on 23 April 1945.
Her surface search radar antenna is at the top of the fore topmast, and a pole mast forward of the stack supports an air search radar and a yardarm for signal flag halyards.

Photo No. 19-N-84515
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Arneb (AKA-56)

An early Moore-built unit photographed by the Mare Island Naval Shipyard on 13 February 1946.
The first three Moore-built units were converted at Portland, Ore., where they received pole radar masts forward of the stack supporting an air search radar. Their surface search radar antenna was mounted on the fore topmast just above the lookout station. The stack on all the Moore-built ships appears to be larger than on the shps built by Federal.

Photo No. 19-N-116746
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Whitley (AKA-91)

Photographed in Hampton Roads, Va., on 11 August 1952.
This was one of six later Moore-built units (AKA 88-93) fitted during construction with lattice radar masts just forward of the stack. The radar mast also supports a yardarm for signal flag halyards. A small anti-aircraft fire control director is mounted on a stand forward of the radar mast.

Photo No. USN 483292
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Rolette (AKA-99)

A later Federal-built unit in San Francisco Bay on 7 April 1952.

Photo No. 80-G-441065
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Wyandot (AKA-92)

Photographed by the Atlantic Fleet Camera Party on 14 March 1955.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command (UA-281)

 
USS Chara (AE-31)

Underway in January 1967. She was reconfigured as an ammunition ship during the early part of the Korean War but was not reclassified as such until reactivated in 1965 for service in the Vietnam War. Her sister Virgo (AE-30, ex AKA-20) had a similar post-World War II career.

Photo No. USN 1119650
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Wyandot (T-AKA-92, later T-AK-283)

In MSTS service between 1963 and 1976. She retains the lattice radar mast fitted to the later Moore-built units.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command