Patoka (AO-9) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

S.S. H. M. Flagler (1918-1949)

The Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. used the plans of this ship, which the firm delivered in July 1918, to build the eight tankers of the Patoka class.
H. M. Flagler, never in the Navy, served without a name change through World War II and was scrapped in 1949.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-32-M box 13.

 
USS Patoka (AO-9)

Alongside the Naval Coal Depot at Pearl Harbor circa late 1920.
During her first two years of Navy service this ship was on loan from the Shipping Board. The inscription on the back of this post card describes her activities during 1920.

Photo No. NH 105114
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command.

 
USS Patoka (AO-9)

With the airship USS Shenandoah (ZR-1) moored to her mast circa 1924.
This view shows the short mooring mast initially installed on this ship. Both of her masts have been cut down for safety reasons and she carries a 5"/51 gun on her bow.

Photo No. NH 57994
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command.

 
USS Patoka (AO-9)

With the airship USS Los Angeles (ZR-3) moored to her mast off Panama circa 1931.
Patoka's mooring mast was raised to accommodate this larger airship by inserting a vertical section near its base. She also received a special long lattice boom on the stump of her mainmast.

Photo No. NH 73285
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command.

 
USS Salinas (AO-19)

Shown after receiving a 5"/51 gun on her stern in 1932.

Photo No. NH 67794
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command.

 
USS Sapelo (AO-11)

In San Diego Harbor on 28 January 1933.
Sapelo carried two 5"/51 guns as shown here between 4 March 1932 and 31 August 1933.

Photo No. NH 65154
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command.

 
USS Rapidan (AO-18)

Near the Boston Navy Yard on 5 September 1942.
She is carrying the initial wartime armament of the class of 2-5"/51 and 2-3"/50. Her 3" guns are at the after end of the bridge island.

Photo No. 19-N-33182
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM.

 
USS Ramapo (AO-12)

In San Francisco Bay on 17 April 1943.
This view shows the very low freeboard of this flush decked tanker type when fully loaded. Ramapo has received a second pair of 3"/50 guns, one pair being forward of the bridge and the other being forward of the after superstructure.

Photo No. 19-N-44232
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM.

 
USS Patoka (AO-9)

Near the Norfolk Navy Yard on 1 August 1943.
Her dirigible mooring mast was removed in 1940 but she retains the special lattice boom on her mainmast.

Photo No. 19-N-52057
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM.

 
USS Tippecanoe (AO-21)

Photographed circa 1944 with new 5"/38 guns fore and aft.
She was one of four ships of the class to receive this dual-purpose weapon.

Photo No. 80-G-177788
Source: Shipscribe.