Ashtabula (AO-51) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

USS Elokomin (AO-55)

Off Sparrows Point, Baltimore, Md., on 1 December 1943 just after commissioning.the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 19 March 1940 after her preliminary conversion there.
The assisting tug is Justine of the Curtis Bay Towing Company. Tugs like this appear in many photos of ships built or converted at Baltimore.

Photo No. 19-N-55696
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Ashtabula (AO-51)

Fully loaded circa 1944.
Her anti-aircraft armament has been upgraded to include four 40mm twin mounts.

Photo No. 19-N-72463
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Tolovana (AO-64)

Probably shown just after her completion in February 1945.
Note the Baltimore harbor tug assisting.

Photo No. 19-N-79035
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Chikaskia (AO-54)

Underway circa 1949.
Much of her antiaircraft battery, including all of the guns and gun platforms on the bow, have been removed.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Chukawan (AO-100)

Underway in April 1957.
Note the hoses suspended from the booms at all four fueling stations to port and the destroyer alongside to starboard.

Photo No. USN 1015706
Source: Shipscribe

 
USS Severn (AO-61)

Underway on 13 February 1959 after refueling USS Tarawa (CVS-40).
The aft refueling stations on both sides have been strengthened and transformed into a large goalpost mast, an enhancement that was also applied to other Navy oilers in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Photo No. USN 1045536
Source: Shipscribe

 
USS Chipola (AO-63)

In the Pearl Harbor channel on 17 April 1964.
Three of her after refueling stations (two to port and one to starboard) have been strengthened by providing heavier kingposts with large angled tops. The ship's armament has been reduced to two 3"/50 guns, both aft.

Photo No. KN-9500
Source: Shipscribe

 
USNS Marias (T-AO-57)

Underway circa the 1970s as a civilian-manned MSTS replenishment tanker. Note the reinforced refueling stations aft.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Caloosahatchee (AO-98)

The fully assembled ship undocking on 6 August 1968 during her "Jumbo" conversion at the Bethlehem Steel Co., Baltimore Yards.
In a series of dockings and undockings, the stern was detached from the old ship on 4 June 1968 and joined to the new midbody on 8 June, then the bow was detached from the old midbody on 16 July and joined to the new ship on the same day.

Photo No. NH 85040
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Ashtabula (AO-51)

Underway after her "Jumbo" conversion in the late 1960s.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Canisteo (AO-99)

Underway in Hampton Roads, Virginia, on 11 August 1969 after her "Jumbo" conversion.

Photo No. K-76204
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command