FY 1941 (AOG 1-5), 1942 (AOG 6-11), 1944 (AOG 48-59). On 8 Mar 40 the General Board informed the Bureau of Ships (BuShips) that it had under consideration gasoline tankers for the supply of aircraft and aircraft tenders (specifically BARNEGAT class AVP's) at advanced bases. It requested preliminary design studies of two types of such tankers, one medium sized (soon dropped from consideration) and one small. On 25 Mar 40 BuShips submitted studies for three small tankers ranging in length from 275' to 325' on the waterline and carrying from 8,100 to 13,600 barrels of gasoline. On 23 Apr 40 the General Board recommended construction of three light draft tankers to supply aviation gasoline for fleet aircraft at advanced bases. On 17 Jul 40 the Secretary of the Navy (SecNav) approved this recommendation and directed BuShips to enter into negotiations with the Maritime Commission (MC) for their construction and purchase when completed. The ships were to have a draft of not over 15 feet, diesel engines, twin screws, a sustained speed of at least 14 knots, and a cargo capacity of at least 15,000 barrels of gasoline. SecNav noted that, with the exception of speed and freeboard, the motor tanker BLUE SUNOCO built by the Sun SB & DD Co. and owned by the Sun Oil Company met most of these requirements. (BLUE SUNOCO herself was later acquired as AOG-12, q.v.) The number of ships planned soon rose from three to five, and AOG 1-5 became part of a large group of naval auxiliaries whose construction or acquisition was directed by SecNav in the 70% Expansion Program on 5 Aug 40 along with many combatant ships. This program was the second increment of the Two Ocean Navy mobilization effort.
Since the characteristics provided by SecNav were not sufficiently complete to enable the MC to produce a design with all the features required by the Navy, the Shipbuilding Division of BuShips tasked the Design Division to produce a complete set of characteristics for transmittal to the MC. The Bureau received plans of BLUE SUNOCO from her builder in early August 1940. On 13 Aug 40 it pointed out to SecNav that this vessel was designed for only 9.5 knots and due to her low freeboard aft did not appear to be an entirely suitable type for ocean voyages in wartime to advanced bases. Instead, the Bureau submitted its own arrangement plan of a small tanker that it proposed for this service. It adopted the usual three-island arrangement with full forecastle and poop and a small bridge structure just forward of amidships to facilitate ship handling and to provide a lee for plane fueling operations, probably alongside. The specifications included two 3"/50 AA guns and four AA machine guns, a length of 300' on the waterline, and a diesel-electric single-screw propulsion plant like that in the new NAVAJO (AT-64) class fleet tugs. Approval of this preliminary design by CNO on 28 Aug 40 opened the way to the development of contract plans and specifications, and at this point the MC took over the work under Navy supervision. On 14 Oct 40 SecNav increased the ship's armament to 4-3"/50. On 22 Oct 40 the MC sent to SecNav plans and specifications for MC Design T1-MT-M1, a 15,000 barrel tanker for supply of aviation gasoline to advanced air bases, which was the result of numerous conferences between Navy and MC personnel. The MC submitted revised plans to SecNav on 4 Jan 41 and BuShips replied with some minor changes on 24 Jan 41. At some point in the design process the ship's main propulsion plant was changed from diesel electric, single screw to direct drive diesel, twin screw. In early 1941 the July 1940 decision to have the MC build the ships for the Navy was reversed, and on 3 Mar 41 the Navy, not the MC, ordered the first five ships from the Seattle-Tacoma SB Corp.
In mid-December 1941 the Navy began developing a list of its total requirements in ships for a maximum war effort. On 12 Jan 42 the General Board submitted to SecNav a list of the additional ships of each type that would be required, including 6 more gasoline tankers (AOG 6-11). On 16 Feb 42 SecNav directed the construction of these ships. They were built on the Great Lakes by the Cargill Co. of Minneapolis, Minn., and were ordered on 19 Mar 42. On 28 May 43 VCNO promulgated a combatant building program for FY 1944 that used up all remaining authorized combatant tonnage. On 11 Jun 43 the Auxiliary Vessels Board took under consideration the additional auxiliary vessels that would be necessary to support these ships, make up existing shortages, and support the increasing needs of aviation units in advanced areas. After studying available shipbuilding facilities the Board decided that sixteen large tenders could be built by the Navy during that period and that Naval construction facilities were also available for 42 smaller ships for which there was demand, including 12 standard design AOG's. It recommended that these be built as a continuation of the AOG construction effort already in progress and be completed at the rate of two per quarter beginning in the third quarter of 1944. AOG 48-59 were ordered from Cargill on 13 Aug 43.
Several ships of this class were referred to MC for sale in 1947 and some were offered, but no bids were received. On 13 May 48 SecNav wrote concerning AOG-51 that "due to speed of vessel and military characteristics it is now desired to recover vessel," and on 3 Aug 48 CNO wrote "It is requested vessel be withdrawn from sale by US MC. There is a clear and immediate need for vessel within the Naval Establishment." Ultimately all of these ships were retained in the postwar Navy, although the last two were never commissioned in the regular Navy, being operated for their entire careers by MSTS. Some of these ships had their bows strengthened for Arctic operations during the 1950s. The MSTS ships were sometimes laid up in Ready Reserve at NDRF fleet locatons between operating seasons.
||In USN reserve 1948-50 (decomm. 29 May 46, held for sale to a Latin American government, stk. 23 Apr 47, referred to MC for sale, withdrawn 25 Mar 48, strike rescinded 30 Apr 48, inactivation complete 19 Jan 50; reactivation ordered 7 Aug 50, recomm. 17 Oct 50) and 1955-60 (decomm. 29 Jun 55). To NDRF 19 Feb 60, to MA 30 Jun 60, stk. 1 Jul 60. From MA 31 Aug 65, recomm. 18 Jun 66. Sold for operation to Mid-Pacific Sea Harvesters, Ltd., to buyer 15 Jan 79. Rebuilt 1987 as factory stern trawler and named ARCTIC STORM..
||Ex USS RAPPAHANNOCK 18 Jul 42. Being operated for CINCAfPAC by May 1946. Decomm 6 Aug 46 and to Army (CINCAfPAC) as Y-483 same date, stk. 23 Apr 47. Reinstated on list as KERN (T-AOG-2) 7 Jun 50, from Army to MSTS 1 Jul 50. To NDRF 28 Sep 56 (MSTS Ready Reserve), from NDRF 30 Apr 57, to NDRF 1 Oct 57, from NDRF 13 Mar 58. To buyer 16 Dec 75.
||In USN reserve 1948-50 (stk. 23 Apr 47, on list 30 Apr 48) and 1955-60. To NDRF 18 Mar 60. To buyer 3 Mar 72.
||Decomm. 29 Jul 46 and to Army (CINCAfPAC) as Y-484 same date although scheduled for transfer to Chinese Navy in April 1947, stk. 23 Apr 47. Reinstated on list as WABASH (T-AOG-4) 7 Jun 50, from Army to MSTS 1 Jul 50. To NDRF 31 Oct 56 (MSTS Ready Reserve), from NDRF 23 Apr 57, to NDRF 10 Sep 57, from NDRF 10 Apr 58 for inactivation, to MA 8 May 58. Transferred to NDRF Fleet Service Craft 31 Mar 80 to be used for storage at Suisun Bay. Withdrawn from NDRF 7 Sep 05, scrapping completed 27 Jan 06.
||As of April 1946 was scheduled for transfer to Chinese Navy. To Army (CINCAfPAC) as Y-485 15 Aug 46, stk. 23 Apr 47. Reinstated on list as SUSQUEHANNA (T-AOG-5) ca. 7 Jun 50, from Army to MSTS 1 Jul 50. To buyer 30 Aug 73.
||In USN reserve 1956-60. To NDRF 1 Jun 60. To buyer 23 Nov 75.
||Loaned to Taiwan as HSING LUNG 1972, sold to Taiwan May 76. Deleted 2005 or earlier.
||In USN reserve 1949-50 (decomm. 15 Dec 49, recomm 28 Jul 50). Loaned to Chile as BEAGLE, stk. and hulked 1983, sold to Chile and sunk as target 1992.
||In USN reserve 1958-60, to NDRF 25 Feb 60, to MA 30 Jun 60, stk. 1 Jul 60. From MA 31 Aug 65. Sold for operation to Mid- Pacific Sea Harvesters, Ltd., to buyer 15 Jan 79. Later derelict in Howe Sound, British Columbia, then lost under tow to scrapping in Far East.
||To NDRF 20 Jan 60. Transferred to NDRF Fleet Service Craft 31 Mar 80 (designated FB-64) to be used for storage at Suisun Bay. Withdrawn from NDRF 25 Jan 06, scrapping completed 6 Jun 06.
||In USN reserve 1949-50 (decomm. 12 Dec 49, recomm. 28 Jul 50). Loaned to Greece 1972 as ARIADNE, sold to Greece 11 Jul 78. Deleted ca. 2003.
||Sank after explosion and fire while alongside fuel dock at Tutuila Naval Station, American Samoa. Hulk salvaged and sold ca. late 1955 to the Government of American Samoa for $50.00.
||Decomm. 8 Apr 46 with hull damage, stk. 17 Apr 46, to MC 30 Jun 46 and referred to MC for sale. Withdrawn from sale 3 Aug 48, from MC 23 Aug 48, on list 13 Sep 48, strike rescinded 15 Sep 48 and placed in USN reserve. To MSTS 3 Mar 52 for operation by contract operators, out of service in USN reserve 18 May 54. In service with MSTS 23 Apr 56. To NDRF 8 Nov 56 (Ready Reserve), from NDRF to MSTS 2 Apr 57. Transferred 16 Sep 57 at Port Brabant, Northwest Territories, Canada, to Air Force for further transfer to the Canadian Government. Redelivered from Air Force to MSTS at Seattle 29 Aug 62. To NDRF from MSTS 14 Sep 62, to MA 1 Jun 63, stk. 1 Jul 63. From MA 19 Aug 65 but AOG-1 reactivated instead and back to MA 31 Aug 65. To buyer 20 Nov 75.
||Converted to combination oiler-tanker at NSY Philadelphia 1948, served continuously in Mediterranean area from 1948 through at least 1960. Sold to Colombia 1975 as TUMACO (BT-67). Deleted ca. 1984.
||Decomm. 21 Feb 47, to MC 18 Jun 47, stk. 5 Mar 47 and referred to MC for sale. Withdrawn from sale 3 Aug 48, from MC 23 Aug 48, on list 13 Sep 48 and placed in USN reserve. To MSTS 7 Mar 52 for operation by contract operators, out of service in USN reserve 18 May 54. In service with MSTS 24 Apr 56. To NDRF 16 Oct 56 (MSTS Ready Reserve), from NDRF 30 Apr 57, to NDRF 9 Oct 57, from NDRF 11 Feb 58. To buyer 16 Dec 75.
||Physically delivered to MA and buyer 15 Jul 69, scrapped by 25 Aug 70.
||Fitted for Arctic service ca. 1950 at NSY San Francisco. To USN reserve 1957. Reactivated and loaned to New Zealand 1962 as ENDEAVOR. Returned 29 Jun 71 in New Zealand and simultaneously loaned to Taiwan as LUNG CHUAN. Sold to Taiwan May 1976. Deleted 2005 or earlier.
||Transferred to Greece 1959 (possibly 27 July) as ARETHOUSA. Deleted ca. 2004.
||To NDRF 19 Jan 60, to MA 30 Jun 60, stk. 1 Jul 60, from MA 23 Aug 65, recomm. 10 Sep 66.
||Decom. 7 Feb 46, stk. 12 Mar 46 and held in USN reserve for possible transfer to another American government. Later referred to MC for sale. Withdrawn from sale 14 Jan 48, strike rescinded 12 Mar 48, recomm 24 Apr 48. To Taiwan 1961 as CHANG PEI (CHANG BEI), sold to Taiwan May 76. Deleted 2005 or earlier.
||Not commissioned upon delivery but placed in caretaker status at New Orleans 24 Jan 46 pending disposal, stk. 26 Feb 46, to MC pool at Lake Charles and referred to MC for sale. Withdrawn from sale 25 Mar 48, strike rescinded 30 Apr 48, to USN reserve 3 May 49. To MSTS 27 Feb 52 for operation by contract operator (Marine Transport Lines, N.Y.). To USN reserve 14 Apr 54. To MSTS 24 Apr 56. To NDRF 12 Oct 56 (MSTS Ready Reserve), from NDRF 1 Apr 57. Transferred 16 Sep 57 at Port Brabant, Northwest Territories, Canada, to Air Force for further transfer to the Canadian Government. Returned by Air Force ca. Aug. 1984 and towed to Bremerton for temporary storage pending disposition. Held for possible donation until Oct. 1986. Sold by MA 15 Dec 87, scrapped in Taiwan by 18 Apr 88. No strike action found.
||Not commissioned upon delivery but placed in caretaker status at New Orleans 20 May 46 pending disposal, to MC pool at Lake Charles and held for possible delivery to another American government. Stk. 23 Apr 47 and referred to MC for sale. Withdrawn from sale 25 Mar 48, strike rescinded 30 Apr 48, to USN reserve 3 May 49. To MSTS 27 Feb 52. From MSTS to USN reserve 8 May 54. To MSTS 24 Apr 56. To NDRF 16 Oct 56 (MSTS Ready Reserve), from NDRF to MSTS 3 Apr 57. Transferred 16 Sep 57 at Port Brabant, Northwest Territories, Canada, to Air Force for further transfer to the Canadian Government. Operated by Northern Transportation Co., Ltd. during summer shipping seasons in Canadian Arctic. Returned to MSTS by Air Force at Seattle 20 Sep 63, from MSTS to MA 8 Oct 63. To buyer 1 Jul 64, scrapped by 14 Mar 66.