FY 1943 (AOG 19-22), 1944 (others). In 1941 the Maritime Commission developed a design for a small tanker for light petroleum products in response to a British request for assistance under the Lend-Lease program, and in November 1941 it ordered the first 16 vessels of this type, which it designated T1-M-A1. Orders for a second batch of 16 ships followed in March and May 1942. 26 of these 32 ships were completed to the T1-M-A1 design, and all of the A1's except for the two transferred to the Navy as AOG 17-18 were loaned to Britain under Lend-Lease as originally intended.
In a 4 Nov 42 letter to the Munitions Allocations Board CominCh stated that planned operations in the South Pacific and Southwest Pacific urgently required a number of small tankers which were not obtainable from normal sources and asked that six of the new T1-M-A1 type be allocated to the United States instead of to the UK for whom they were being built under Lend-Lease. This letter was also provided to the Auxiliary Vessels Board, which on 7 Nov 42 concurred that six of these vessels were essential at this time and recommended that they be acquired, converted to provide for Navy crews, and fitted to permit the transportation or storage of both gasoline and diesel oil. These six ships became AOG 17-22, of which the first four were built at Bayonne, N.J., by the East Coast Shipyards (originally the Marine Maintenance Corp.) and the last two came from Galveston, Texas. The first two ships from East Coast were completed to the T1-M-A1 design (see the AOG-17 class), while the later two (AOG 19-20) were transferred to the MC Military Program on 9 Apr 43 for completion to the T1-M-A2 design, which included features desired by the Navy. The Galveston ships (AOG 21-22, along with two acquired later as AOG 60-61) were part of an order for 8 ships (MC hulls 785-792), the first four of which were completed as T1-M-A1's and loaned to the British. These eight ships were ordered from Gray's Iron Works, Inc., Galveston, on 19 Mar 42 and re-awarded to the same yard under its new name, Todd Galveston Drydocks, Inc., on 21 Jun 43. MC hulls 789-90 (AOG-61 and 21) were transferred to the MC Military Program on 11 Jan 44 soon after launching and MC hulls 791-92 (AOG-22 and 60) were transferred on 2 Nov 43 before launching, all becoming T1-M-A2's.
In December 1942 the MC ordered 24 more ships to the T1-M-A1 design, twelve (MC hulls 1520-31) from the East Coast Shipyards, in Bayonne, and twelve (MC hulls 1532-43) from Gray's Iron Works in Galveston. On 24 May 43 the Auxiliary Vessels Board reported that these orders had been placed "because of the urgent need for tankers and with the approval of the Joint Chiefs of Staff," and recommended that they be acquired by purchase to meet the Navy's urgent needs, that they be manned by Navy crews, and that a minimum conversion to accommodate the crews be undertaken. A few days before this action, on 18 May 43, the MC cancelled the contract with Gray's Iron Works for hulls 1532-43. In compensation it added six more hulls (1798-1803) to the East Coast contract on 19 May 43 and another six (2067-72) in May or June 1943. On 17 Aug 43 it transferred all 24 ships in this contract to the MC Military Program for completion to the T1-M-A2 design.
On 7 Sep 43 the Auxiliary Vessels Board noted that two tankers similar to AOG 17-22 that were under construction by Todd-Galveston Dry Dock, Inc. (formerly Gray's Iron Works) were understood to be available for Navy acquisition with estimated deliveries in January 1944. In view of the increasing need for such vessels the Board recommended acquiring them, converting them to provide for Navy crews and to carry both gasoline and diesel oil. These, already referred to above, became AOG 60-61. On 3 Jul 44 the Board recommended acquiring two more East Coast ships (AOG 62-3) as part of a program for 54 ships to be built by the MC for delivery in the first half of 1945 as naval auxiliaries. The MC ordered these two ships from East Coast on 26 Jul 44 under its Military Program for prospective delivery in January/February 1945.
The East Coast ships were delivered to the Navy 100% complete by their builder and the MC. The Navy then took them to repair yards in the New York area (Marine Basin Co., Brooklyn, for AOG-35, 37, 41, 44, and 46, and possibly all the rest) for further conversion and outfitting. The time between commissioning and reporting for shakedown varied from over two months for some early ships to under two weeks for others. The MC transferred the four Galveston hulls to Houston SB Corp., Houston, Texas, for completion. The Navy probably had them fitted out by the Brown SB Corp. at Houston, which took the completion and camouflage photographs for these ships.
As part of the rapid postwar demobilization of this class, SecNav on 13 Dec 45 authorized CinCPac to decommission and transfer ONTONAGON (AOG-36) to the Army. The ship was transferred to the Commanding General, Army Forces, Western Pacific, probably at Manila, and the Army designated her Y-130. The Army still had her in 1950, and on 6 Jun 50 Commander MSTS stated that Y-130 would be classified T-AOG-36 upon transfer to the Navy on or about 1 Jul 50 and would be assigned to MSTS in "Active Status, In Service." A letter of 7 Jun 50 from Op-333 reinstated her on the List of Naval Vessels, and the Navy formally received the ship from the Army on 1 Jul 50. MSTS transferred her to MARAD for layup on 14 Dec 1954, but on 2 Apr 1956 MSTS asked to reacquire her to join six civilian-manned and two military-manned AOGs in meeting a requirement for small shallow-draft tankers to deliver bulk POL to the DEW Line sites east of Point Barrow. The Commerce Department agreed on 24 Apr 1956 and ONTONAGON was placed in service on 26 Apr 1956 in the Olympia reserve fleet and towed to Seattle for reactivation. Other ships reactivated at this time, possibly for this requirement, included CHESTATEE, PINNEBOG, MAQUOKETA, and WAKISSA. This requirement proved to be short lived, and ONTONAGON was back in the NDRF in September 1956.
||Ex YOG-49 25 Mar 43, ex merc. SOLDIER CREEK. Laid up as SAKATONCHEE 1946. No bids when offered ca. 1947. To buyer 23 Jan 64, scrapped by 3 Mar 65.
||Ex YOG-50 25 Mar 43, ex merc. SUMMIT SPRINGS (completed 9 Feb 44). Laid up as SEEKONK 1946. Merc. SEEKONK (Canadian) 1948. Beached after explosion and fire at Charlettetown, Prince Edward Island, 7 Jun 63, cut down to barge or scrapped.
||Ex YOG-51 25 Mar 43, ex merc. ROYSTON. Transferred by MC to Houston SB Corp., Houston, Texas, for completion. Merc. ROYSTON (MC) 1946, OTCO BAYWAY 1948 (lengthened), stripped and scuttled 1975 as METRO LANDRY No. 1.
||Ex YOG-52 25 Mar 43, ex merc. CONROE. Transferred by MC to Houston SB Corp., Houston, Texas, for completion (completed 26 Sep 44). Designated 27 Jun 46 for transfer to China, repaired at Pearl Harbor Jul-Nov 46, decomm. at Subic Bay 1947, to China 1948 at Subic as YU CHUAN. Stricken after running aground 1959, scrapped 1964.
||In deferred disposal status 1946-47 for possible transfer to a South American country and, after strike, to Turkey. Merc. PROVIDENCE 1948 (lengthened 1952). Damaged by explosion and fire 30 Dec 69 at South Portland, Maine, as DEAN REINAUER and cut down to barge.
||Ex USS ANDROSCOGGIN 4 Nov 43. Wrecked in hurricane at Iwo Jima, wreck reported dispersed and listed as destroyed 20 Oct 45.
||Declared surplus by MC 16 Oct 47, advertised twice, no bids. To buyer 2 Mar 64, scrapped by 29 Jun 64.
||To Turkish Navy 1948 as AKPINAR. Stricken 1986.
||Merc. ESSO PORTO ALEGRE (Brazilian) 1947. Wrecked 28 Sep 70 as GRAVATAI near Campo Bom, Santa Catarina, Brazil.
||Bought by Brazilian Aeronautical Commission, Washington, DC, 1948 and to Navy as RIJO. Deleted 1970.
||To Army 20 Feb 46 at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, returned 25 Mar 47 and sold at Subic Bay by FLC. Merc. TONG SHUI (Philippine firm, Panamanian registry) 1947. Wrecked on Pratas Reef 2 Oct 53, refloated 9 Oct 53 and laid up, hulked at Manila 1956.
||In deferred disposal status 1946-47. Bought by Columbian Government 1947 and to Navy as BLAS DE LEZO. Lengthened to 250' oa by Avondale Marine Corp., Inc., Harvey, La. Decomm. Jan. 1965.
||Advertised by MC three times ca. 1947, no bids. (Had been blown on reef at Okinawa during typhoon 9 Oct 45 but remained afloat and water tight.) To buyer 2 Mar 64, scrapped by 8 May 64.
||Merc. ESSO MARACAIBO (Venezuelan) 1947. Scrapped 1970 as SARITA.
||Merc. TYCOL 1948 (lengthened). Scuttled off New Jersey 2002 as VINCENT TIBBETTS.
||Merc. ESSO RIO GRANDE (Brazilian) 1947. Scrapped 2003 as PIRATINI.
||No bids when offered ca. 1947. To buyer 2 Mar 64, scrapped by 3 Dec 64.
||Decomm. and to Army as Y-130 27 Feb 46, stk. 12 Mar 46. Reinstated on list as ONTONAGON (T-AOG-36) 7 Jun 50, from Army to MSTS 1 Jul 50. To MA 14 Dec 54, stk. 22 Jun 55. From MA and reinstated on list 26 Apr 56. To NDRF 25 Sep 56 (MSTS Ready Reserve), from NDRF 16 Oct 57 for stripping and preparation for layup. To buyer 22 Jan 64, scrapped by 4 Nov 65.
||Name PALOMAS proposed but IX-91 already had it. Merc. EL CARIBE 1947. Scrapped 1974 as AGHIA TRIAS.
||Merc. MYSTIC SUN 1948, reported converted to barge 14 May 69, scrapped 1981.
||Merc. SEAGULL 1947, BRUCH 1950. lengthened 1959, scrapped 1976.
||Beached by typhoon at Okinawa 9 Oct 45 and damaged beyond economical repair, hulk destroyed by blowing up 25 Jan 46.
||Merc. MAUMEE SUN 1948. Damaged in collision 23 Nov 65 near the western entrance to the Cape Cod Canal. Sold for scrap 1969, scrapped 1972 at Baltimore.
||To China under Lend-Lease 10 May 47 as TAI HWA, returned from Lend-Lease and transferred to China 7 Feb 48. Renamed HSING KAO 1955, final fate unknown.
||Completed 31 Dec 44. No bids when offered ca. 1947. To buyer 23 Jan 64, scrapped by 12 Jan 65.
||Merc. MEI AN 1946, STANVAC OGAN 1948. Lengthened 1961, scrapped 1980 as MOBILE SERVICE.
||Spent entire Navy career as a training ship at Miami, Fla. Merc. YACONA (Gulf Oil Corp.) 1947, to Colombian owner as YACONA 1974. Deleted 1992 (possibly scrapped at Mamonal, Colombia, after 1984).
||Merc. MEI SHAN 1947, STANVAC No. 312 1948. Last listed as LEAP DAL (renamed 1975), possibly scrapped at Jurong 20 Nov 77.
||Ex merc. RODESSA. Transferred by MC to Houston SB Corp., Houston, Texas, for completion. Merc. MEI PING 1946, STANVAC SELO 1948, SEA HORSE 1963 (lengthened), deleted 1988.
||Ex merc. OLD OCEAN. Transferred by MC to Houston SB Corp., Houston, Texas, for completion. Merc. OLD OCEAN (MC) 1946. No bids when offered ca. 1947. Sank at San Francisco June 1947 while laid up, raised. Sold as SAKONNET, to buyer 3 Oct 51, scrapped by 16 Feb 53.
||To buyer 22 Jan 64, scrapped by 9 Feb 66.
||Bought by Brazilian Aeronautical Commission, Washington, DC, 1948 and to Navy as RAZA. Merc. ITAJAI 1970, last listed 1996.