Harris (APA-2) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

USAT Hunter Liggett

During a fleet landing exercise in the Caribbean ca. 3 February 1941.
Note the neutrality flag painted on the side amidships, the Higgins landing boat aft, and the many merchant ship lifeboats and davits. The ship, as did all Army transports, has a civilian crew. The stack of USS Harry Lee (AP-17) is visible at the extreme left.

Photo No. 80-G-466193
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Zeilin (AP-9)

Photographed by her conversion yard, Todd Seattle Dry Docks, Inc., on 12 January 1942.
This ship and Harris (AP-8) retained the split superstructure with which they were originally completed. The break between the bridge and funnel contained a small hatch served by two kingposts. This area was filled in with additional superstructure during civilian service in the 1920s or 1930s in the other units of this class acquired by the Navy. APA 2-3 (ex AP 8-9) also retained merchant-style boat davits for nearly the entire war.

Photo No. 19-N-26584
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Leonard Wood (AP-25)

In Hampton Roads on 12 September 1942.
Additions made in a recent shipyard overhaul are circled. This ship and Joseph T. Dickman (AP-26), at upper left, were the only units of this class to have only three goalpost masts while in Navy service. APA 12-17 and AP 42-43 all received four Welin triple davits per side during their initial conversion or soon thereafter.

Photo No. 19-N-34527
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS J. Franklin Bell (AP-34)

Shown before her reclassification to APA in February 1943.
Note the 5"/51 gun and two 3"/50 guns aft. Another two 3"/50 guns are forward.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Hunter Liggett (APA-14)

Shown in 1943 or 1944 after her reclassification to APA.
As were many other naval auxiliaries, this ship was manned by the Coast Guard.

Photo No. 26-G-3337
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command (Coast Guard photo)

 
USS American Legion (APA-17)

At San Francisco on 6 April 1944 after receiving alterations at the Mare Island Navy Yard.
The ship's main gun armament is now 4-3"/50 following the removal of her 5"/51 gun aft. Note also the radar mast over the bridge.

Photo No. 19-N-66838
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Hunter Liggett (APA-14)

At San Francisco on 29 March 1944 after receiving alterations at the Mare Island Navy Yard.
The 5"/51 gun aft has been replaced with a 1.1" quad mount. Two of the ship's 4-3"/50 guns are at the forward end of the small poop deck. Note also the multiple steering wheels on this deck for emergency use.

Photo No. 19-N-66838
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Zeilin (APA-3)

At San Francisco between November 1945 and February 1946.
During a late war refit, probably in mid-1945 following kamakaze damage, this ship was modified along the lines of APA 12-17. The kingposts between the bridge and stack are gone, and although the break in the superstructure may not have been filled in, the ship now has four Welin boat davits per side arranged as in the later units of the class. The other early member of the class, Harris (APA-2) was probably not so modified.

Photo No. NH 78156
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command (Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson)

 
USS Henry T. Allen (AG-90)

In San Francisco Bay at the end of 1945 or beginning of 1946 after concluding the war as a headquarters ship.

Photo No. NH 82206
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command (Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson)