Heywood (APA-6) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

S.S. Independence (ID-3676)

The ship that became USS Neville (APA-9) in her original configuration as a World War I freighter.
She is shown in pattern camouflage, probably around the time she was taken over for service in the Naval Overseas Transportation Service in November 1918.

Photo No. NH 103676
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
S.S. City of Norfolk

The ship that became USS Neville (APA-9) after being rebuilt as a passenger-cargo ship for the Baltimore Mail Line in 1930-31.

Photo No. None
Source: Shipscribe

 
USS Heywood (AP-12)

Off the Norfolk Navy Yard on 1 November 1941.
All five ships of this class were converted to this configuration, though they varied in details such as the openings in the side of the superstructure amidships. They carried their landing craft under two light davits on each side, one abreast and one abaft of the stack.

Photo No. 19-N-25921
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS William P. Biddle (AP-15)

Off the Norfolk Navy Yard on 12 May 1942 after receiving new boat davits and other modifications.
This ship and George F. Elliot (AP-13) were the only units of the class to upgrade to heavier Welin davits early in the war. Of the others, Heywood received them in 1945 and the other two never got them. Note the original stern armament of one 5"/51 and two 3"/50 guns.

Photo No. 19-N-30471
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Neville (APA-9)

At San Diego on 19 February 1943.
Two of the four light boat davits that supported her landing craft are clearly visible. She still carries her original armament, of which the four 3"/50 mounts are visible.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Neville (APA-9)

Off the Norfolk Navy Yard on 17 April 1943 after receiving changes to her armament and other modifications.
Her 5"/51 gun aft has been removed and two twin 40mm antiaircraft guns have been added, one forward in the tall structure over the two 3"/50 guns and one aft. She also received a radar mast over the bridge.

Photo No. 19-N-45752
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Heywood (APA-6)

At San Francisco on 23 May 1945 after receiving new boat davits and other changes.
Other changes made during this yard period included the replacement of a lattice radar mast with a pole and re-arrangement of the gun tubs and kingposts at the bow.

Photo No. 19-N-90744
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS Fuller (APA-7)

At San Francisco on 12 July 1945.
She retains her original light boat davits. A twin 40mm gun and a 3"/50 gun are visible on the deckhouse over the stern.

Photo No. 19-N-89661
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM