President Jackson (APA-18) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

USS President Hayes (AP-39)

At the Norfolk Navy Yard on 2 January 1942 shortly after commissioning.

Photo No. 19-N-26565
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Thomas Stone (AP-59)

Off her conversion yard, the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., on 25 May 1942.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Thomas Jefferson (AP-60)

Off the Norfolk Navy Yard on 23 September 1942.
Note the single 5"/51 low-angle gun on the stern, with two 3"/50 dual-purpose and two 20mm anti-aircraft guns just forward of and above it.

Photo No. 19-N-35841
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Thomas Jefferson (APA-30)

Off the Norfolk Navy Yard on 6 December 1944.
Her 5"/51 gun aft has been removed and two twin 40mm anti-aircraft mounts have been added, one forward above and between the two raised 3"/50 gun tubs and one aft.

Photo No. 19-N-97550
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Thomas Jefferson (APA-30)

Off the Norfolk Navy Yard on 6 December 1944.
Her stern armament has been rearranged: the 5"/51 gun is gone and the two 3"/50 guns are now its former position on the stern with a twin 40mm anti-aircraft mount and two 20mm anti-aircraft guns just forward of and above them.

Photo No. 19-N-97551
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS President Hayes (APA-20)

At San Francisco circa late 1945.
The forward pair of 3"/50 guns was lowered to deck level when the forward twin 40mm mount was fitted circa early 1945, producing a lower profile forward than in the other units of the class.

Photo No. 19-N-98702
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command

 
USS President Adams (APA-19)

Underway on 30 June 1947 as a unit of the Naval Transportation Service.
While she remains in commission and fully armed, she was detached after World War II from the amphibilus forces and used as a peacetime transport, carrying military personnel and dependents between the United States, the Far East, and the Caribbean. Note the replacement of her landing craft with regular lifeboats. All of her surviving sisters were similarly employed after the war, and all wore a similar broad black band on the funnel.

Photo No. 19-N-89661
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM