Crescent City (APA-21) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

USS Crescent City (AP-40)

In her original configuration in 1941 or 1942.
Note the 5"/51 gun on the stern. The conversion plans for this ship differed from those used for the other three.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Charles Carroll (AP-58)

Off the Norfolk Navy Yard on 2 September 1942.
She is in her original configuration with a 5"/51 low-angle gun on the stern.

Photo No. 19-N-34512
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Calvert (AP-65)

Near Baltimore, Md. off Sparrows Point on 30 September 1942 after conversion.
Note the plain appearance of the ship as initially converted, with no raised gun positions forward, the two 3"/50 guns there being on deck, and a single level position aft for the two 3"/50 guns there. The gun on the stern is a 5"/38 dual purpose weapon.

Photo No. 19-N-35762
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Charles Carroll (APA-28)

In Hampton Roads on 6 May 1943.
Her armament has been modified, the 5"/51 gun aft being removed and two twin 40mm anti-aircraft mounts added, one in a raised position forward and the other on the stern. The ships of this class had a tendency to appear trimmed down by the stern.

Photo No. 80-G-66352
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-80-G

 
USS Calvert (APA-32)

Off the Norfolk Navy Yard on 17 August 1943.
As a result of the addition of two twin 40mm twin mounts in 1943, this ship received a two level structure on the bow with one 3"/50 gun (the other forward 3"/50 was deleted) and one twin 40mm mount, and acquired an even taller three level structure aft with a twin 40mm mount on top, some 20mm guns in the middle, and two 3"/50 guns on the bottom. The original 5"/38 gun remains on the stern.

Photo No. 19-N-53214
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Crescent City (APA-21)

Off the New York Naval Shipyard on 15 May 1947.
In early 1945 this ship received two twin 40mm mounts, one replacing the 5"/51 low-angle gun on the stern and one in a new raised position on the bow. By 1947 the ship had been detached from the amphibious forces and was operating as a unit of the Naval Transportation Service (NTS). In this photo she carries regular lifeboats under her davits, although she remains a fully armed and commissioned naval vessel. The broad black band around the top of the stack was also worn by other NTS ships at this time, but non-NTS ships may have had it as well.

Photo No. 19-N-142584
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Monrovia (APA-31)

Off the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on 4 November 1952.
Wartime armament changes to this ship were less extensive than those made to her sister Calvert, consisiting primarily of the addition of one twin 40mm mount in a raised tub between the two 3"/50 guns located on deck forward. The deckhouse forward of the stack and over the bridge may be for command (relief AGC) facilities added in 1943 and later expanded. In contrast with some other early APAs, she continued to operate with the amphibious forces after the war--note the landing craft under her davits.

Photo No. 19-N-142584
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Monrovia (APA-31)

Probably shown underway in the 1960s, during the final years of her long career.
She has received many postwar modifications, most noticeably the elaborate four-legged radar mast forward of the stack. She still carries her late wartime bow armament of two 3"/50 guns on deck and one twin 40mm gun in a centerline tub, although all the wartime 20mm guns appear to have been removed.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command