Windsor (APA-55) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

USS Windsor (APA-55)

Underway near the Norfolk Navy Yard on 27 June 1943.
This ship and her sister Leedstown (APA-56) had two sets of Welin davits near the bow in addition to the usual four amidships, as did all the units of the Ormsby (APA-49) and Sumter (APA-52) classes.

Photo No. 19-N-48434
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Windsor (APA-55)

Underway near the Norfolk Navy Yard on 27 June 1943.
This class was converted from hulls designed for the American Export Line, which retained in all of its new ships the old style counter stern visible here. The two anti-aircraft mounts forward of the 5"/38 gun on the stern are 1.1" quads.

Photo No. 80-G-48436
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Leedstown (APA-56)

Near the Norfolk Navy Yard on 19 August 1943.

Photo No. 19-N-53218
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Adair (APA-91)

Near the Norfolk Navy Yard on 15 August 1944.
In this and later ships of this class, the pair of Welin davits located near the bow in the first two ships of the class was omitted.

Photo No. 19-N-71987
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Dutchess (APA-98)

Probably photographed in Chesapeake Bay upon completion of conversion in November 1944.

Photo No. 19-N-73675
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Shelby (APA-105)

In Chesapeake Bay off Sparrows Point on 20 January 1945, the day she was commissioned.

Photo No. 19-N-77399
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
USS Shelby (APA-105)

In Chesapeake Bay off Sparrows Point on 20 January 1945, the day she was commissioned.
The later units of this class were completed with two twin 40mm antiaircraft mounts aft instead of the quadruple 1.1" mounts in the first two units.

Photo No. 19-N-77401
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM