Ex-Italian Tankers (IX-132 etc.): Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For most classes many other photographs exist.
For more complete online collections of U. S. Navy ship photographs see in particular the NHHC Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

S.S. Tamarac (British tanker, built 1908)

Shown before she became the British Sequoya in 1914.
This ship joined the Italian merchant marine in 1925 and became USS Andrew Doria (IX-132) in 1944.

Photo No. None
Source: The Steamship Historical Society of America

 
S.S. Faireno (Tanker, built 1918)

Undergoing modifications at the Tampa Shipbuilding Co. on 13 July 1943.
This British-built ship was transferred from British to Italian registry in 1937, taken over by the Venezuelan Government in 1942, and then transferred to the U. S. War Shipping Administration. She became USS Arayat (IX-134) in 1944.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
S.S. Faireno (Tanker, built 1918)

Undergoing modifications at the Tampa Shipbuilding Co. on 13 July 1943.
This British-built ship was transferred from British to Italian registry in 1937, taken over by the Venezuelan Government in 1942, and then transferred to the U. S. War Shipping Administration. She became USS Arayat (IX-134) in 1944.

Photo No. Unknown
Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-19-LCM

 
S.S. Gold Heels (Panamanian tanker, built 1921)

Probably photographed around the time she was boarded entering an American port on 18 February 1943.
This ship was built as the Italian naval oiler Brennero and was seized by the United States in 1941 and put under Panamanian registry as Gold Heels. She became USS Carondelet (IX-136) in 1944.

Photo No. None
Source: Arthur D. Baker III

 
S.S. Gold Heels (Panamanian tanker, built 1921)

Photographed circa 1942-1943.
This ship was built as the Italian naval oiler Brennero, and in this view the experimental Pugliese underwater side protection system fitted to her during construction is conspicuous in the form of large external bulges. She was seized by the United States in 1941 and put under Panamanian registry as Gold Heels. She became USS Carondelet (IX-136) in 1944.

Photo No. None
Source: Arthur D. Baker III

 
USS Carondelet (IX-136)

The former S.S. Gold Heels and Italian naval oiler Brennero in U.S. Navy service.

Photo No. None
Source: Navsource

 
S.S. Pinna (British tanker, built 1901)

Shown before she became the British British Earl in 1917.
After two years under the German flag this ship joined the Italian merchant marine in 1931. She became USS Malvern (IX-138) in 1944.

Photo No. None
Source: The Steamship Historical Society of America

 
USS Quiros (IX-140)

This tanker, built in the United Kingdom for Russia, joined the Italian merchant marine in 1930.

Photo No. None
Source: Navsource

 
S.S. Rapallo (Italian tanker, built 1921)

This Italian-built tanker became USS Manileno (IX-141) in 1944.

Photo No. None
Source: Navsource

 
S.S. William F. Herrin (American tanker, 1911)

Photographed between 1911 and 1917.
This Newport News-built ship joined the Italian merchant marine in 1928 and became USS Villalobos (IX-145) in 1944.

Photo No. None
Source: Naval History and Heritage Command (SH)