Cape Henry, a 4992 gross ton (10,489 tons displacement) freighter, was built in 1918 at Sparrows Point, Maryland, for the U.S. Shipping Board. Upon completion in late October 1918 she was turned over to the Navy and placed in commission as USS Cape Henry (ID # 3056). She made one voyage while in Navy hands, a trip to France with U.S. Army cargo that began in December 1918. The ship returned to New York in February 1919 and was decommissioned and delivered to the Shipping Board in early March. Renamed Dorothy at some point in the next two and a half decades, the former Cape Henry was transferred to Honduran registry in 1951.
This page features all available views concerning the steamship Cape Henry, which served as USS Cape Henry (ID # 3056) in 1918-1919.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 99879
Cape Henry (American Freighter, 1918)
Composite photograph, taken circa October 1918, while the ship was in the final stages of fitting out at the Bethlehem Steel Company shipyard, Sparrows Point, Maryland.
Note her pattern camouflage.
This freighter was transferred to the Navy on 26 October 1918 and placed in commission as USS Cape Henry (ID # 3056). She was decommissioned and returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 3 March 1919.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 43KB; 740 x 225 pixels
Page made 28 December 2004