Charlton Hall, a 4749 gross ton freighter, was built in 1907 by William Hamilton & Company at Port Glasgow, Scotland. She was acquired by the Navy in June 1918 and placed in commission as USS Charlton Hall (ID # 1359). Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, she carried cargo from the United States to France during the rest of the year. Charlton Hall was decommissioned in late January 1919 and subsequently returned to her owners, the U.S. Steel Products Company of New York City.
This page features all available views concerning the freighter Charlton Hall, which served as USS Charlton Hall (ID # 1359) in 1918-1919.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 99971
S.S. Charlton Hall (American Freighter, 1907)
In port, circa 1918.
Built in 1907 at Port Glasgow, Scotland, and owned in 1918 by U.S. Steel Products Company of New York, this steamship was acquired by the Navy on 10 June 1918 and placed in commission on 14 June as USS Charlton Hall (ID # 1359). She was transferred to the U.S. Shipping Board for return to her owners on 3 February 1919.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 66KB; 490 x 765 pixels
Page made 26 February 2005