The 6731 gross ton cargo ship Eastern Shore was completed in September 1918 by the Suzuki-owned Harima Dockyard Co. at Aioi, Japan. Purchased by the U.S. Shipping Board while under construction, she was delivered at Seattle on 20 October 1918, converted for naval use at the Puget Sound Navy Yard, transferred from the Shipping Board to the Navy on 1 December 1918, and commissioned the same day.
After loading a cargo of flour at Seattle, Eastern Shore departed Puget Sound Navy Yard on 2 January 1919 and arrived at New York on 29 January for repairs. She got underway on 10 February under orders from the Food Administration. At Gibraltar she was routed on to Romania, arriving at Constanta on 15 March. Her flour was discharged to barges and hurried up the Danube to relieve the famine in eastern Europe.
Eastern Shore sailed from Constanta on 10 April, touched at Gibraltar, and arrived at New York on 18 May to discharge her cargo and ballast and disembark her lone passenger, a special envoy of the Bulgarian Government. She was decommissioned on 27 May 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.
Eastern Shore remained in Shipping Board hands until scrapped at Baltimore in October 1935. Lloyd's Register, however, continued to list her until to 1952.
This page features all available views of the cargo ship Eastern Shore, which served as USS Eastern Shore in 1918-19.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: None
S.S. Eastern Shore (U.S. cargo ship, 1918)
This ship was acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 1 December 1918 as USS Eastern Shore (ID # 3500). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 27 May 1919.
Source: Wikipedia, from Pacific Marine Review, July 1920, page 84.
Page made 16 August 2015