WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

UNITED STATES NAVY
TEMPORARY AUXILIARY SHIPS
WORLD WAR I

Photo #  NH 105205:  SS Guantanamo circa October 1917

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- CIVILIAN SHIPS --

S.S. Guantanamo (American cargo ship, 1910).
Originally the British S.S. Registan.
Served as USS Guantanamo (ID # 1637) in 1918-19

The 3349 gross ton cargo ship Registan was completed in July 1910 by W. Gray & Co. of West Hartlepool, England. She was sold to Cuban owners and renamed Guantanamo in 1911, and in 1914 she was acquired by the New York & Cuba Mail Steam Ship Co. (Ward Line) and transferred to American registry. The Navy took her over at Philadelphia on 20 May 1918 and commissioned her a day later as USS Guantanamo (ID # 1637).

Between May and December 1918 the ship made three voyages in convoy from the United States to Saint Nazaire, France, with Army cargo, including ammunition, returning each time in ballast. USS Guantanamo was decommissioned at New York on 25 January 1919 and returned to the Ward Line on 4 February 1919.

Guantanamo, still American-owned, was renamed Comerio in 1927. She became the Italian Vittorin in 1940 but on 15 October 1941 was taken over by the U.S. Government at Norfolk, Va., and placed under Panamanian registry as Grey Lag. She became an Army cargo ship on 22 January 1943. On 19 September 1946 she was sold to the Republic of China and renamed Hai Lung. She was scrapped in Taiwan in January 1960.

This page features all available views concerning the American freighter Guantanamo, which was USS Guantanamo (ID # 1637) in 1918-1919.


Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 105205

S.S. Guantanamo
(American Freighter, 1910)

In port, possibly when inspected by the Third Naval District on 5 October 1917. This British-built ship served as USS Guantanamo (ID # 1637) from 20 May 1918 to 25 January 1919.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 48KB; 740 x 495 pixels

 
Photo #: None

USAT Grey Lag
(Army freighter, 1910)

Photographed on 4 November 1943, probably in the Southwest Pacific.
She has one 4 inch gun and two 20mm AA guns aft and two more 20mm guns above the bridge.

Source: Australian War Memorial, www.awm.gov.au/collection/303349/.

 


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 5 August 2007