WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

UNITED STATES NAVY
TEMPORARY AUXILIARY SHIPS
WORLD WAR I

Photo # NH 48487:  USS West Lianga at Bordeaux, France, 2 October 1918

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS West Lianga (ID # 2758), 1918-1919.
Originally, and later, the civilian freighter West Lianga

USS West Lianga, a 5575.8 gross ton cargo ship, was built at Seattle, Washington, in 1918 as the civilian freighter of the same name. She was taken over by the Navy in August, after steaming to the East Coast, and was immediately placed in commission. West Lianga completed one round-trip voyage to France and had begun another when the 11 November 1918 Armistice ended the First World War's fighting. In 1919 she went to France twice more before being decommissioned in late June and returned to the U.S. Shipping Board.

West Lianga had a long commercial career following 1919, mainly in Pacific Waters. Her name was changed to Helen Whittier in 1938 and to Lalani in 1940. Late in 1941 she was transferred to Great Britain. Under the names Empire Cheetah and Hobbema, she served as part of the British merchant marine until sunk by the German submarine U-132 on 4 November 1942.

This page features all available views related to USS West Lianga (ID # 2758) and the civilian freighter West Lianga.


Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 65075-A

West Lianga
(American Freighter, 1918)

Underway off Seattle, Washington, on 4 May 1918, the day of her trial trip and delivery. Built by the Skinner & Eddy Corporation, Seattle, she had been constructed in 67 working days (79 calendar days).
This ship was acquired by the Navy on 19 August 1918 and placed in commission the next day as USS West Lianga (ID # 2758). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 24 June 1919.

The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 102KB; 740 x 595 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 48487

USS West Lianga
(ID # 2758)

At Bordeaux, France, 2 October 1918, while operating as a unit of the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS).
Photographed by Robert W. Neeser.
Note her pattern camouflage.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 111KB; 740 x 535 pixels

 


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 21 February 2004