WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

UNITED STATES NAVY
TEMPORARY AUXILIARY SHIPS
WORLD WAR I

Photo #  NH 105283:  USS Robert M. Thompson circa 1918-1919.

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --

USS Robert M. Thompson (ID # 3319), 1918-1919.
Originally, and later, S.S. Robert M. Thompson (American Freighter, 1912).

Robert M. Thompson, a 2458 gross ton (6000 tons displacement) freighter, was built at Ecorse, Michigan, in 1912. She was commissioned in the Navy as USS Robert M. Thompson (ID # 3319) at New York on 30 August 1918. After loading a cargo of ammunition at Norfolk, in early October the ship joined a convoy bound for France from Halifax, Nova Scotia. However, she had to drop out of this convoy because her speed was insufficient. A few days later Robert M. Thompson again sailed from Nova Scotia with another convoy, but soon had to leave it as well and proceed independently to Gibraltar. The freighter's first effort to reach her French destination failed when she had to turn back to Gibraltar for repairs to her main engines, and she finally delivered her cargo at Nantes, France, in mid-November. Returning to New York in early January 1919, USS Robert M. Thompson was decommissioned on 14 February 1919 and transferred to the U.S. Shipping Board for simultaneous return to her owners. S.S. Robert M. Thompson was scrapped at Inverkeithing, Scotland, in 1928.

This page features all available views concerning S.S. Robert M. Thompson and USS Robert M. Thompson (ID # 3319).


Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 65055

S.S. Robert M. Thompson
(American freighter, 1912)

This Great Lakes-built freighter was in commission as USS Robert M. Thompson (ID # 3319) from 30 August 1918 to 14 February 1919.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 48KB; 740 x 490 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 105283

USS Robert M. Thompson
(ID # 3319)

This freighter, built on the Great Lakes in 1912, was in commission from 30 August 1918 to 14 February 1919. This photo may have been taken during her inspection by the Third Naval District on 5 September 1918. One of her two 3"/50 guns is visible on the bow.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 74KB; 590 x 765 pixels

 


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 30 November 2007