M. J. Scanlon, a 5672 gross ton (11,620 tons displacement) freighter specially designed as a lumber carrier, was completed at Camden, New Jersey, in September 1918. She was commissioned in the Navy on 23 September as USS M. J. Scanlon (ID # 3513). Loading an Army cargo at Norfolk, Virginia, the ship moved to New York, where she got underway at the beginning of November in a convoy bound for France. After delivering her cargo at St. Nazaire the ship returned to New York in December. M. J. Scanlon was decommissioned at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 27 January 1919 and returned to the U.S. Shipping Board. During subsequent commercial service she was renamed Missoula in 1925, Malamton in 1935, and Minotaur in 1941. On 9 January 1943 she was torpedoed and sunk off Dutch Guiana by the German submarine U-124, with the loss of six lives.
This page features all available views concerning S.S. M. J. Scanlon, USS M. J. Scanlon, S.S. Missoula, Malamton, and Minotaur.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 65067
USS M. J. Scanlon (ID # 3513)
Probably photographed by her builder at the time of her completion in September 1918. This ship was in commission as USS M. J. Scanlon from 23 September 1918 to 27 January 1919.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 63KB; 740 x 485 pixels
Page made 30 November 2007