Levisa, a 2118 gross ton (3800 tons displacement) freighter, was built at Wyandotte, Michigan, in 1916. Around September 1917 she was chartered by General Pershing to carry Army supplies within the European theater. The Navy took her over at Cardiff, Wales, on 19 November 1918, placed her in commission as USS Levisa (ID # 1573) and assigned her to the Army coal trade, transporting coal between British and French ports with her home base at Cardiff. In February 1919 she sailed from Penarth, Wales for New York with a cargo of Army explosives. Levisa was decommissioned at New York on 1 April 1919 and delivered to the Shipping Board for return to her owners, the United Fruit Company of New York City. She became the Norwegian Bjerka in the 1930s and later the Chinese Foo Ming. The elderly ship was scrapped in Taiwan in 1958.
This page features all available views concerning the American freighter Levisa, which was USS Levisa (ID # 1573) in 1918-1919.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 105221
S.S. Levisa (American Freighter, 1916)
In port, possibly when inspected by the Third Naval District on 11 June 1917. This Great Lakes-built freighter was in commission as USS Levisa (ID # 1573) from 19 November 1918 to 1 April 1919.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 60KB; 740 x 490 pixels
Page made 14 August 2007