WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.


Photo #  NH 105211:  After portion of S.S. Lake Conesus, which served as USS Lake Conesus (ID # 4331) in 1918-1919

Online Library of Selected Images:

S.S. Lake Conesus (American Freighter, 1918)
Originally named War Gnome.
Served as USS Lake Conesus (ID # 4331) in 1918-1919

Lake Conesus, a 2292 gross ton (5230 tons displacement) freighter, was built at Ecorse, Michigan, in 1918 as part of the World War I emergency ship construction effort. She was ordered by the British as War Gnome but was requisitioned by the U.S. Shipping Board and renamed before construction began. Completed at the end of June 1918, Lake Conesus was initially manned by the U. S. Shipping Board and sailed to Europe in convoy, carrying almost 3,000 tons of Army general cargo. Once in European waters she operated in cross-Channel service with a civilian crew, in support of the Army, but on 14 November 1918 was taken over by the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (N.O.T.S.) at Cardiff, Wales, and commissioned as USS Lake Conesus (ID # 4331). The ship spent most of her N.O.T.S. career in the Army coal trade, carrying coal from Wales to French ports, interrupted in March 1919 when she had to have a broken propeller repaired at Plymouth, England. Lake Conesus departed Wales for the United States on 13 September 1919 and was decommissioned and returned to the Shipping Board on 11 October 1919. She was scrapped by the Ford Motor Company at Detroit, Michigan, in 1927.

This page features all available views concerning the American freighter Lake Conesus, which was USS Lake Conesus (ID # 4331) in 1918-1919.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 105211

S.S. Lake Conesus
(American Freighter, 1918)

This ship served as USS Lake Conesus (ID # 4331) from 14 November 1918 to 11 October 1919. She is shown in port, possibly when inspected by the Third Naval District on 15 October 1919 following her Navy service.
The photograph shows the after portion of the ship. The ship's original rig appears to have been altered by connecting the pair of kingposts at the top and fitting a topmast.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 53KB; 740 x 490 pixels


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 11 September 2007