Lake Pepin, a 2240 gross ton steam cargo ship, was built in 1918 at Duluth, Minnesota. Her original name, Muerthe, was changed to the United States Shipping Board's "Lake" series prior to completion. She was acquired by the U.S. Navy and placed in commission at Montreal, Quebec, as USS Lake Pepin (ID # 4215) in September 1918. The ship served as a Naval Overseas Transportation Service coal carrier between the United Kingdom and France until May 1919, then returned to the U.S. with a cargo of ordnance. USS Lake Pepin was decommissioned in June 1919 and returned to the U.S. Shipping Board. Sold to private owners in 1923 and renamed Samoa, she was resold to the U.S. Government in 1946 and scrapped in 1949.
This page features all available views of the cargo ship Lake Pepin, which served as USS Lake Pepin in 1918-19.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 102001
Lake Pepin (U.S. cargo ship, 1918)
This ship was acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 4 September 1918 as USS Lake Pepin (ID# 4215). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 18 June 1919.
The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 62KB; 415 x 765 pixels
Page made 30 October 2001