WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.


Cargo ship Munindies, which was USS Munindies in 1918-19

Online Library of Selected Images:

S.S. Munindies (American cargo ship, 1917).
Served as USS Munindies (ID # 2093) in 1918-19

The 5095 gross ton cargo ship Munindies was launched by the Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Va., on 17 October 1917; acquired by the Navy from the Munson Steamship Lines on 17 December 1917 upon her completion; and commissioned at Norfolk the same day.

Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Munindies loaded 5,200 tons of Army cargo at Philadelphia, Pa., and sailed for Europe in convoy on 4 January 1918, arriving La Pallice, France, on the 25th. She departed Bordeaux, France, for the east coast on 27 February and arrived on 2 March. Munindies made three more crossings to Europe before returning to New York on 11 December.

On 11 January 1919 Munindies got underway with general supplies for Argentina, reaching La Plata on 12 February to debark her cargo. The cargo ship returned to New York on 4 April to decommission on 24 July. That same day Munindies was delivered to the U.S. Shipping Board for return to her owner who restored her to commercial service.

S.S. Munindies became the Greek Elena R. in 1937 and was mined on 22 November 1939 in a field laid by the German U-26 off the Shambles Lightship near Portland, England, while on a voyage from Rosario, Argentina, to Antwerp with grain.

This page features all available views of the cargo ship Munindies, which served as USS Munindies in 1918-19.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: None

S.S. Munindies
(U.S. cargo ship, 1917)

This ship was acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 17 December 1918 as USS Munindies (ID # 2093). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 24 July 1919.

Source: www.wrecksite.eu.

Photo #: None

S.S. Elena R.
(Greek cargo ship, 1917)

The former USS Munindies passed to Greek owners in 1937 and was mined off the English coast on 22 November 1939.

Source: www.wrecksite.eu and www.uboat.net, the latter from the Library of Contemporary History, Stuttgart.


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 16 August 2015