WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

UNITED STATES NAVY
TEMPORARY AUXILIARY SHIPS
WORLD WAR I

Photo #  NH 65139:  SS Oakland on her trial trip, 30 May 1918


Online Library of Selected Images:
-- CIVILIAN SHIPS --

Oakland (American Freighter, 1918).
Originally named War Breeze.
Served as USS Oakland (ID # 2847) in 1918-1919

Oakland, a 6002 gross-ton steamship, was built in 1918 at Oakland, California. Originally named War Breeze and intended for British owners, she was taken over by the United States Shipping Board and, upon completion, turned over the the U.S. Navy. Commissioned in early June 1918 as USS Oakland (ID # 2847) and assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service for cargo ship duty, she intially transported flour to New York. Between September 1918 and May 1919, the ship made two round-trip voyages from the U.S. to Italy, then was decommissioned and returned to the Shipping Board. She was abandoned in 1933.

This page features all available views related to the freighter Oakland, which was USS Oakland (ID # 2847) in 1918-1919.


Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 65139

SS Oakland
(American Freighter, 1918)

On her trial trip, 30 May 1918.
Photographed by her builder, the Moore Shipbuilding Company, Oakland, California.
This ship soon became USS Oakland (ID # 2847).
Note her pattern camouflage, builder's pennant flying from a stub mast just aft of her forward gun platform, and U.S. Jack and Ensign at half-staff.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 68KB; 740 x 445 pixels

 
Photo #: None

SS Oakland
(American Freighter, 1918)

A view taken just after the one above during her trial trip on 30 May 1918.

Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-32-S.

 
Photo #: NH 65109

SS Oakland
(American Freighter, 1918)

Off Oakland, California, during her trials, 30 May 1918.
This ship was commissioned as USS Oakland (ID # 2847) on 3 June 1918.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 35KB; 740 x 305 pixels

 


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 22 May 2003