WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

UNITED STATES NAVY
TEMPORARY AUXILIARY SHIPS
WORLD WAR I

Photo #  NH 65126:  S.S. Panuco, later USS Panuco, underway on 14 January 1917

Online Library of Selected Images:
-- CIVILIAN SHIPS --

S.S. Panuco (American Freighter, 1917)
Served as USS Panuco (ID # 1533) in 1918-1919.

Panuco, a 3832 gross ton (8060 tons displacement) freighter, was completed at Seattle, Washington, in January 1917. Following more than a year of commercial service, on 13 September 1918 the U.S. Navy placed her in commission at New York as USS Panuco (ID # 1533). After loading general cargo the ship departed New York in September in a convoy bound for Nantes, France, where she delivered her cargo in October. The freighter returned to New York in November, then moved to New Orleans to take on cargo for South America. Panuco departed New Orleans in January 1919 and delivered her cargo at Montevideo, Uruguay, in February. She then loaded a shipment of linseed cake at Ramallo, Argentina, returning with it to New York in April. USS Panuco was decommissioned on 28 April 1919 and transferred to the U.S. Shipping Board for simultaneous return to her owners, the New York & Cuba Mail Steamship Company of New York. S.S. Panuco continued to serve her original owners until she was destroyed by fire while pierside at New York in August 1941.

This page features all available views concerning the American freighter Panuco, which was USS Panuco (ID # 1533) in 1918-1919.


Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 65126

S.S. Panuco
(American freighter, 1917)

This freighter was in commission as USS Panuco (ID # 1533) from 13 September 1918 to 28 April 1919. The photograph was taken on 14 January 1917, around the time of her completion at Seattle, Washington.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 72KB; 740 x 595 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 105279

S.S. Panuco
(American freighter, 1917)

This freighter was in commission as USS Panuco (ID # 1533) from 13 September 1918 to 28 April 1919. The photograph may have been taken around the time of a 1917 inspection by the Third Naval District.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 55KB; 740 x 390 pixels

 


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 9 December 2007