S.S. Sherman, a 4725 gross ton freighter, was built at Belfast, Ireland, in 1893. Previously named Senator and Gobernador Bories, by 1918 she was owned by the Sherman Steamship Corporation of New York. In late August of that year she was taken over by the Navy and placed in commission as USS Sherman (ID # 3345). As a unit of the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, she made two trips to France from the U.S. during September-December 1918, and in November was renamed Durham. Another European voyage was carried out between January and April 1919, this one taking food to ports in the Adriatic Sea. USS Durham was decommissioned in late April 1919 and transferred to the U.S. Shipping Board for return to her owners.
This page features all available views concerning the freighter Sherman of 1893, which was USS Sherman and USS Durham (ID # 3345) in 1918-1919.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 94490
S.S. Sherman (American Freighter, 1893)
In port, possibly in the New York City area on 2 September 1918, when she was inspected by the Third Naval District.
This freighter, owned by the Sherman Steamship Company of New York, was taken over by the Navy and placed in commission on 30 August 1918 as USS Sherman (ID # 3345). Renamed Durham on 23 November 1918, she was returned to her owners on 29 April 1919.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 52KB; 605 x 715 pixels
Page made 31 January 2006