WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

UNITED STATES NAVY
TEMPORARY AUXILIARY SHIPS
WORLD WAR I

Photo #  NH 102520:  SS West Galoc underway in 1918


Online Library of Selected Images:
-- CIVILIAN SHIPS --

S.S. West Galoc (American Freighter, 1918)
Served as USS West Galoc (ID # 3347) in 1918-1919

West Galoc, a 5890 gross ton freighter built at Los Angeles, California, was taken over by the Navy upon completion in August 1918 and placed in commission as USS West Galoc (ID # 3347). During September and October, on her initial operational voyage, she steamed to Arica, Chile, took on a cargo of nitrates and went on to the U.S. East Coast by way of the Panama Canal. Late in November 1918 West Galoc began the first of two trans-Atlantic round-trip voyages to France, the last of which concluded at Newport News, Virginia, in mid-April 1919. She was decommissioned later in that month and returned to the U.S. Shipping Board, which retained her until the early 1930s.

This page features all available views concerning the freighter West Galoc (1918) and USS West Galoc (ID # 3347).


Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: None

S.S. West Galoc
(American Freighter, 1918)

Photograph by her builder, the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. of San Pedro, Calif. The photo is dated 22 August 1918, but the ship was commissioned on 21 August 1918 and the photograph appears to show her before commissioning.

Source: U.S. National Archives, RG-32-S.

 
Photo #: NH 102520

S.S. West Galoc
(American Freighter, 1918)

Underway in 1918, possibly at the time she entered Naval service.
This ship was acquired by the Navy and placed in commission on 21 August 1918 as USS West Galoc (ID # 3347). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 29 April 1919.
Note her "dazzle" type pattern camouflage.

The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 59KB; 740 x 515 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 99391

S.S. West Galoc
(American Freighter, 1918)

At anchor, in 1918, possibly at the time she entered Naval service.
Taken over on 21 August 1918, immediately after completion of construction, this steamer was commissioned the same day at San Pedro, California, as USS West Galoc (ID # 3347). She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 29 April 1919.
Note her "dazzle" type camouflage.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 50KB; 740 x 290 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 106230

USS West Galoc
(ID # 3347)

At the Naval Training Station, San Pedro, California, circa 21 August 1918, the day she was placed in commission.
Note her pattern camouflage.

Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2008.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 81KB; 740 x 585 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 106231

USS West Galoc
(ID # 3347)

Ship's Officers and Crew on deck during her commissioning ceremonies at Naval Naval Station, San Pedro, California, 21 August 1918.
The officer in the lower right foreground (in "Blue" uniform) is West Galoc's commanding officer, Lieutenant Commander Charles Clarkson, USNRF. The officer facing him (in "Whites") may be the Naval Training Station's commanding officer, Commander Guy W. Whitlock.
Note: A note lightly pencilled on the reverse of the original print gives the date as 22 August 1918.

Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2008.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 130KB; 740 x 610 pixels

 
Photo #: NH 106232

USS West Galoc
(ID # 3347)

Ship's Officers and Crew on her after well deck, at the time of her commissioning ceremonies at Naval Naval Station, San Pedro, California, 21 August 1918.
The officer in the right center foreground (in "Blue" uniform) is West Galoc's commanding officer, Lieutenant Commander Charles Clarkson, USNRF.
Note the cracks in the wooden cargo-handling booms in the center foreground.

Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2008.

U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Online Image: 126KB; 740 x 615 pixels

 


Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

Page made 16 June 2004
New images added 30 November 2008