West Haven, a 5742.6 gross ton freighter, was built in 1917 at Seattle, Washington. She was taken over by the Navy at New Orleans in June 1918 and placed in commission as USS West Haven (ID # 2159). The ship began a voyage from the U.S. East Coast to France in July, carrying U.S. Army supplies, and returned in early September 1918. She made one further round-trip passage across the Atlantic before the fighting ended in November, and two more between December 1918 and early June 1919. USS West Haven was decommissioned later in June and turned over to the U.S. Shipping Board. From 1929 she operated commercially under the named Marian Otis Chandler and Onomea. Transferred to Great Britain in 1940 and renamed Empire Leopard, she had two more years of service before she was torpedoed and sunk in the north Atlantic on 2 November 1942.
This page features all available views of the freighter West Haven, which was USS West Haven (ID # 2159) in 1918-1919.
Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 65034-A
SS West Haven (American Freighter, 1917)
Probably photographed while underway on trials off Seattle, Washington, in December 1917.
Built by the Skinner & Eddy Corporation, of Seattle, and initially named War Flame, this ship was acquired by the Navy and commissioned as USS West Haven (ID # 2159) on 18 June 1918. She was returned to the U.S. Shipping Board on 21 June 1919.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 84KB; 740 x 585 pixels
Page made 25 January 2004