WWI Ship Name Index   Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

UNITED STATES NAVY
TEMPORARY AUXILIARY SHIPS
WORLD WAR I

Photo #  NH 102003:  SS War Bayonet.  This ship was USS Lake Superior in 1918-19


Online Library of Selected Images:
-- CIVILIAN SHIPS --

War Bayonet (Cargo Ship, 1917).
Later renamed Lake Superior.
Served as USS Lake Superior (ID # 2995) in 1918-1919 and USS Tuluran (AG-46) in 1942-1946

War Bayonet, a 1984 gross ton freighter built at Toledo, Ohio, in 1917 was renamed Lake Superior by the United States Shipping Board soon after completion. She was acquired by the Navy in December 1917 and commissioned as USS Lake Superior (ID # 2995) in late January 1918. Serving with the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, she carried gasoline to Bermuda and coal to Halifax in February and March. In May, the ship crossed the Atlantic to Scotland with a cargo of mines and made two more such voyages between July and December 1918. Thereafter, she transported coal, aviation equipment and other cargo in the western Atlantic and Caribbean area. USS Lake Superior was decommissioned at the end of July 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board. In subsequent civilian employment she was named C.D. Johnson III and Anna Schafer. In 1942 the ship was reacquired by the Navy and commissioned as USS Tuluran (AG-46). After serving through the rest of World War II, she was sold for scrapping in December 1946.

This page features, and provides links to, all the views that are available concerning the cargo ship War Bayonet and USS Lake Superior (ID # 2995), which was later USS Tuluran (AG-46).

For additional pictorial coverage of this ship, see:

  • USS Tuluran (AG-46), 1942-1946.


    Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

    Photo #: NH 102003

    War Bayonet
    (U.S. cargo ship, 1917)

    Probably photographed near the end of her construction by the Toledo Shipbuilding Company, Toledo, Ohio, which had launched her on 25 October 1917. She was renamed Lake Superior by the U.S. Shipping Board, acquired by the Navy on 12 December 1917, and commissioned on 30 January 1918 as USS Lake Superior (ID# 2995).
    Photographed by Herrick.

    The original print is in National Archives' Record Group 19-LCM.

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

    Online Image: 63KB; 740 x 585 pixels

     
    Photo #: NH 99509

    S.S. War Rifle
    (American Freighter, 1917), left
    and
    S.S. War Bayonet (American Freighter, 1917)

    In port, possibly in the New York City area when they were inspected by the Third Naval District on 26 December 1917.
    During 1918-1919 these two ships served, respectively, as USS Lake Bridge (ID # 2990) and USS Lake Superior (ID # 2995). The latter also had World War II Navy service as USS Tuluran (AG-46).

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

    Online Image: 78KB; 740 x 575 pixels

     
    Photo #: NH 64964

    USS Lake Superior (ID # 2995)


    Photographed in 1918-19.

    Collection of Peter K. Connelly. Courtesy of William H. Davis, 1967.

    U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

    Online Image: 50KB; 740 x 460 pixels

     

    For additional pictorial coverage of this ship, see:

  • USS Tuluran (AG-46), 1942-1946.


    Return to WWI Auxiliaries.

    Page made 11 November 2001
    New image added 1 September 2004