Quick Links Menu.
USS Rigel (AF 58) circa 1956
Click on this photograph for links to larger images of this class.
Class: RIGEL (AF 58).
Design: SCB Project No. 97 and MA R3-S-4a.
Displacement (tons): 7,950 light, 15,150 full
Dimensions (feet): 502' oa, 475' wl x 72' e/wl x 29' max nav
Armament: 4-3"/50T; (58: 1963, 59: 1969) 2-3"/50T
Accommodations: 20 officers, 330 enlisted
Speed (kts.): 21
Propulsion (HP): 16,000
Machinery: Geared steam turbines, 2 boilers (615psi/850deg), 1 screw
|58||RIGEL||13 Aug 1953||Ingalls SB, Pascagoula||15 Mar 1954||15 Mar 1955||2 Sep 1955|
|59||VEGA||13 Aug 1953||Ingalls SB, Pascagoula||24 May 1954||26 Apr 1955||10 Nov 1955|
|58||RIGEL||Tr||9 Sep 1992/C||16 May 1994||1 Apr 1998||MA/T||Jul 2008|
|59||VEGA||29 Apr 1977||29 Apr 1977||2 May 1977||MA/T||21 Dec 1977|
An internal BUSHIPS memorandum dated 7 September 1951 considered possible modifications to the Maritime Administration's C3-S-DX1 design in view of the fact that the proposed FY 1953 Shipbuilding and Conversion program called for building two AFs (refrigerated store ships) and one AVS (aviation supply ship) predicated on that design. On 5 January 1952 BUSHIPS wrote to the Administrator of the Maritime Administration, retired Vice Admiral E. L. Cochrane, USNR, that it was possible that the Navy Shipbuilding and Conversion Program for FY 1953 might include two new naval refrigerated store ships (AF). Based on its earlier analysis, BUSHIPS listed the expected characteristics, including a 20 knot trial speed, a single screw powered by a steam turbine, and principal hull characteristics about the same as the MA C3-S-DX1 design ship (later SCHUYLER OTIS BLAND) but with significant modifications. BUSHIPS stated that it was considering having the ships designed and built for the Navy Department by the Maritime Administration with Navy funds and asked for the Administrator's views. MARAD agreed to participate in the project on 14 January 1952. On 27 February 1952 BUSHIPS specified that the Navy would produce the design and contract drawings with assistance from commercial Design Agents as required. The design would be based on merchant ship standards except where Navy standards were mandatory. Construction of the ships and approval of all working plans, however, would be by MARAD. Also on 27 February 1952, George G. Sharp as design agent delivered an initial preliminary design of an AF (Project No. 97). On 19 May 1952 a Conference on Mobile Logistic Support recommended that four types of ship should be equipped for replenishment at sea: an oiler (AO), an ammunition ship (AE), a refrigerated stores ship (AF), and a general stores issue ship (AKS), the latter to carry technical and aviation spares in addition to general stores. While commercial ships could and would be modified for these functions in the event of mobilization, it was decided to base the original design for the replenishment ships included in the Navy Shipbuilding Program on Navy rather than commercial requirements and thus obtain the most favorable spacing of decks and sheer and camber. On 21 July 1952 Sharp delivered a Summary of Design for Refrigerated Stores Ship (AF) Shipbulding Project No. 97, supplemented by several reports reports on 1 August 1952. The ships were to be built by the Maritime Administration and under their supervision for the exclusive use of the Navy. [from AE file]
Approved characteristics for a new construction Stores Ship (AF), SCB Project 97, were promulgated on 21 Jul 1952 with a final change on 25 March 1957, and the MA specifications were dated 3 November 1952 and revised 12 January 1953. These were MA hulls 36 and 37, the first ordered after the Mariners. Designated R3-S-4a by MA and possibly based on one of its hull designs, they were the largest American pure refrigerated ships at 15,540 tons full load. At the decommissioning ceremony for VEGA in 1977, Commander Service Group One explained that "This type of ship with booms, hatches and masts is doomed." Unlike VEGA, RIGEL found a second career in MSC with her guns and other military equipment removed.
Approved characteristics for a new construction store ship (AF), SCB Project No. 156, were promulgated on 28 November 1955 with a final change on 25 March 1957. This project may have evolved into the AFS along with Project 115 for a new AKS. Undated Preliminary Design sketches (PD 5586 and 5587) exist for a small and a medium T-AF, both having the superstructure well aft with four large holds forward of it and one small one aft of it. The medium one measured 550'oa, 520'pp x 72'x 25.5'full, 15,000 tons full displacement, 17,500hp for 20 knots, and a crew of 58. The small one measured 500'oa, 475' pp x 66'x 23'full, 11,500t full displacement, 7,200hp for 16.5 knots, and a crew of 54. As MSTS ships they would have been for point-to-point service and not fleet issue.
|58||RIGEL||36||FY 1953. Decomm and to MSC 23 Jun 1975. To MA custody 9 Sep 1992, title accepted by MA 1 Apr 1998 for disposal. Transferred back to Navy for disposal as required by the FY2008 Defense Authorization act (with TRUCKEE and KALAMAZOO). Sold by Navy Jul 2008 to All Star Metals, Brownsville, TX. Departed MA custody 28 Aug 2008 enroute Brownsville.|
|59||VEGA||37||FY 1953. [Or keel 7 Jun 1954 and launch 28 Apr 1955, both NVR.] To MA custody 2 May 1977. Sold 21 December 1977 to Union Metals & Alloys for non-transportation use. Reported as having caught fire and burned at Dutch Harbor, Alaska while being converted into a processing ship. [Navsource from N. Mark Evans' book Dancing with Disaster.] [BU 1988 at Kaohsiung, PHS]|
Compiled: 22 July 2021
© Stephen S. Roberts, 2021
Sources: DB, Maroon, VSC, NVR, PHS