Quick Links Menu.
USS Whidbey (AG 141) with forecastle lengthened circa 1951.
Click on this photograph for links to larger images of this class.
Class: WHIDBEY (AG 141, Army FS Design 381)
Design: Army Design 381 (176', steel)
Displacement (tons): 540 light, 760 full
Dimensions (feet): 177' oa, 168' wl x 33' e, 32' wl x 10' max nav
Accommodations: 11 officers, 63 enlisted
Speed (kts.): 13
Propulsion (HP): 1,000
Machinery: Geared diesels (Cleveland), 2 screws
|141||WHIDBEY||22 Feb 1947||Ingalls SB, Decatur||23 Sep 1943||2 Jan 1945||8 Aug 1947|
|141||WHIDBEY||Jun 1954||1 May 1959||31 May 1960||Sold||--|
Soon after World War II the Navy began acquiring former Army Freight Supply Vessels (FS) for inter-island service. The Army's FS boats, previously called Freight and Passenger Vessels (FP), were built to three wooden hulled Army designs (247, 277, and 342) and three steel hulled designs (330, 381, and 427). Design 381 was used for all steel FS boats not built by Higgins. A contract was placed with Ingalls Shipbuilding on 23 September 1943 resulting in the construction of FS 383-386 and 394-400. See the AKL 1 class for more details.
As of 27 Feb 1947 twelve ex Army Freight Supply Ships (FS) were to be assigned to the Pacific Fleet and classified AG to provide cargo services in the Marianas, Marshall, and Caroline Islands. They were classified AG 130-141 and named on 3 April 1947 after coastal islands in the US. Of these WHIDBEY (AG 141) was converted in 1948 to a floating clinic for a health survey of the Pacific Trust Territory, then under Navy administration, taking chest X-rays and conducting physical examinations of the entire population of over 48,000 islanders. On 31 March 1949 the Navy decided that because the other 11 ships had the characteristics of small supply vessels and were employed in transporting cargo it was desirable to establish a new classification, AKL (Cargo ship, light) for them. WHIDBEY, however, remained AG 141 when AG 130-140 were reclassified AKL 1-11 effective 31 March 1949. In April 1950 her availability for the health survey was extended to the fourth quarter of fiscal year 1951. The survey was completed in May 1951, around the time that the Interior Department took over administration of the territory. The ship was then overhauled at Yokosuka, Japan, converted to a fleet epidemological disease control ship, and used to screen Korean War veterans headed home for dysentery, malaria, or other infections or parasites. On 3 January 1952 she sailed for Taiwan to provide medical services there.
|141||WHIDBEY||(ex-FS 395, compl. 2 Jan 1945). Relieved LSM 460 in Marianas. Inspected and accepted from Army 21 Feb 1947 at Subic. Aground at Yap 22-28 Dec 1947 following a storm, converted to floating health clinic 1948. Departed the Far East December 1953. Placed in commission in reserve for inactivation on 1 July 1954 and out of commission in reserve on 15 November 1954 in the Columbia River Group (Astoria, Oregon) of the Navy's Pacific Reserve Fleet. On Navy sale list May 1959. Offered for sale 6 May 1960 with a bid opening date of 26 May 1960. Sold to Albert Heller. Merc. Merc. AG 141, then research vessel SEA SEARCH 1961. BU at Singapore c1971.|
Compiled: 8 Aug 2021
© Stephen S. Roberts, 2021
Special sources: Miramar Ship Index (https://www.miramarshipindex.nz/)