Shipscribe Quick Links Menu           To page for this class

Littlehales (AGSC 15) Class: Photographs

These photographs were selected to show the original configuration of this class and major subsequent modifications. For more views see the former NHHC (now Hyperwar) Online Library of Selected Images and the NavSource Photo Archive.

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

YF 327

An earlier self-propelled covered lighter of the same 132-foot type as YF 854, below, which became USS Littlehales (AGSC 15). Unlike her three sisters shown below including Littlehales, YF 327 remained in use as a self-propelled lighter until being transferred to the General Services Administration (GSA) on 4 September 1964. This photograph was received in Washington, D.C., on 22 September 1959.

Photo No. USN 1044172
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command (L-file)

  Covered lighter YF 327 circa September 1959
YF 852

Underway at the U.S. Naval Station, Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, on 15 September 1965. YF-852 had just been named Ensenada on 19 July 1965, about a month after five other YF's (below) were named. She was redesignated as the self-propelled range tender YFRT-523 with name cancelled effective 1 April 1971 to support submarine training at the underwater torpedo range off St Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.

Photo No. USN 1112872
Source: Shipscribe

  Covered lighter YF 327 on 15 September 1965
USS Littlehales (AGSC 15, ex YF 854)

Underway on 11 October 1963 from the U.S. Naval Amphibious Base at Little Creek, Va. She is carrying specialized surveying equipment including a surveying launch forward under her cargo boom.

Photo No. USN 1087564
Source: Shipscribe

  USS Littlehales (AGSC 15) on 11 October 1963
YF 885

After serving for a decade (reactivated on 15 August 1950) as an ammunition lighter at the U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot, Bangor, YF 885 was transferred on 4 April 1960 to the U.S. Naval Torpedo Station at Keyport for use as an underwater weapons recovery craft. In this photo, backstamped at Keyport on 9 September 1964, a torpedo and a torpedo launch tube are visible at the after end of the superstructure. On 8 June 1965 she was named Keyport, and in the same SECNAV notice YF 294, 328, 336, and 864 were named respectively Phoebus, Lynnhaven, Suitland, and Little Compton.

Photo No. Unknown (USNTS Keyport serial 14987)
Source: U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command (UA-281)

  Covered lighter YF 885 circa September 1964