Quick Links Menu.
USNS CAPT Arlo L Olson (T-AK 245).
Click on this photograph for links to larger images of this class.
Class: CAPT ARLO L OLSON (AK 245, C1-M-AV1)
Design: MC C1-M-AV1
Displacement (tons): 2,410 light, 7,440 full
Dimensions (feet): 339' oa, 320' wl x 50' e/wl x 21' max nav
Accommodations: 11 officers, 27 unlicensed
Speed (kts.): 10
Propulsion (HP): 1,700
Machinery: Diesel, 1 screw
|245||CAPT ARLO L OLSON||1 Mar 1950||J A Jones, Brunswick||2 Mar 1945||8 May 1945||1 Mar 1950|
|246||COL WILLIAM J O'BRIEN||1 Mar 1950||Consolidated Steel, Long Beach||17 Jan 1945||13 Feb 1945||1 Mar 1950|
|247||PVT JOHN F THORSON||1 Mar 1950||Southeastern SB||8 Jan 1945||26 Feb 1945||1 Mar 1950|
|248||SGT GEORGE PETERSON||1 Mar 1950||Leathem D Smith SB||9 Mar 1945||13 May 1945||1 Mar 1950|
|249||SHORT SPLICE||1 Mar 1950||Consolidated Steel, Wilm.||15 Jan 1945||3 Mar 1945||1 Mar 1950|
|250||PVT FRANK J PETRARCA||1 Jul 1950||Consolidated Steel, Long Beach||18 Apr 1945||7 Aug 1945||1 Jul 1950|
|245||CAPT ARLO L OLSON||T||25 Oct 1956/C||22 May 1958||22 May 1958||MA/T||4 Mar 1971|
|246||COL WILLIAM J O'BRIEN||T||Aug 1973||1 Sep 1973||19 Nov 1973||MA/S||--|
|247||PVT JOHN F THORSON||T||2 Aug 1954||1 Oct 1958||1 Aug 1960||MA/S||--|
|248||SGT GEORGE PETERSON||T||ca Mar 1959||22 Mar 1959||27 Mar 1959||MA/T||15 Dec 1971|
|249||SHORT SPLICE||T||15 Jun 1973||15 Jun 1973||31 Aug 1973||MA/S||--|
|250||PVT FRANK J PETRARCA||T||21 Nov 1973/C||15 Oct 1973||16 Nov 1977||MA/T||--|
After World War II the Army began to acquire small ocean-going diesel-propelled cargo ships of the Maritime Commission's C1-M-AV1 type and its refrigerated variant, the R1-M-AV3. As of 31 August 1948 it had 21 of these ships excluding those in SCAJAP, of which four were fitted as small transports and five were reefers. All were Army-owned except for one cargo C1-M-AV1 (HONDA KNOT, converting to a mortuary ship) and all five R1-M-AV3s, which were under bareboat charter. By 28 February 1950 the Army's holdings of these types had fallen to 12 ships, including four passenger (which became APC 116-119), six cargo (AK 245-250), and two refrigerated (AF 44 and AF 53). AK 245-249 were among the Army ships operating out of continental US ports that were to be acquired on 1 Mar 1950 for which Navy names, classification, and hull numbers were approved on 21 Feb 1950. AK 250 was among the Army ships then operating under commands in the Far East that were to be transferred to the Navy about 1 July 1950 for which names, classification, and hull numbers were approved on 7 Jun 1950. Two of the ships, AK 246 and AK 249, were given heavy lift gear in 1954, one, AK 250, was retired in 1959 but reactivated in 1960, and the other three were permanently out of naval service by the end of 1959.
|245||CAPT ARLO L OLS0N||2478||Ex merc. BELL RINGER, completed 11 Aug 1945. To Army 13 Aug 1946. To MA temporary custody 25 Oct 1956, permanent custody 22 May 1958. To buyer 26 Mar 1971.|
|246||COL WILLIAM J O'BRIEN||2323||Ex merc. MAIDEN'S EYE, completed 10 Apr 1945. To Army 11 Jul 1946. Converted 1954 by Todd, Brooklyn, to a heavy lift ship with two 80-ton capacity booms. (The installation resembled that on PVT LEONARD C BROSTROM and MARINE FIDDLER but was smaller.) Scheduled to complete discharge at Piraeus 5 Aug 1973 when available for transfer to MA for disposal. In good condition but obsolete and due for ABS special survey no. 6. Sold by MA at Piraeus, Greece, to buyer in Elefisis Bay 27 Dec 1973.|
|247||PVT JOHN F THORSON||2486||Ex merc. BECKET BEND, completed 6 Jul 1945. To Army 25 Jul 1946. To USN reserve at Charleston, S.C. 2 Aug 1954. Sold by MA with AK 157 and AK 162. To buyer 29 Aug 1960 at the Charleston Naval Base. Misspelled THORNSON on Navy naming notice.|
|248||SGT GEORGE PETERSON||2172||Ex merc. COASTAL GUIDE, ex-USS WASHTENAW (AK 218), cancelled, ex-COASTAL GUIDE, completed 17 Dec 1945 at Beaumont, Tex. Operated commercially until to Army 23 Jun 1948. Served in the MSTS Gulf Subarea until inactivated in early 1959. To buyer 17 Feb 1972 for non-transportation use, converted into private yacht MARSHA LYNN. Sold 1979 to TransAlaska Fisheries Corp., a subsidiary of a corporation created by Congress to compensate Alaska Natives for loss of land, and converted to fish factory ship AL-IND-ESK-A SEA ("Aleuts, Indians, and Eskimos of Alaska in Seattle"). Caught fire from a welder's torch 20 October 1982 while undergoing repairs in Port Gardner, Everett, Washington, and sank 22 October 1982.|
|249||SHORT SPLICE||2464||Ex merc. SHORT SPLICE, completed 18 May 1945. To Army 17 Jul 1946. Converted 1954 by Todd, Brooklyn, to a heavy lift ship with two 80-ton capacity booms. Operated by a Korean crew after arriving in the Far East 3 Nov 1966. To buyer at Yokosuka 18 Sep 1973.|
|250||PVT FRANK J PETRARCA||2329||Ex merc. LONG SPLICE, completed 20 Sep 1945. To Army 29 Aug 1946. Stricken and to MA (title) 9 Apr 1959. From MA (title) 7 Apr 1960 and reactivated after private industry was unable to support construction on Canton Island of a telemetry tracking station to support Project Mercury. In 1962 she participated in a cost and feasibility study of year round ocean service in Alaskan waters. In 1966 she delivered supplies to McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, to support Deep Freeze ‘66. With sister FENTRESS (AK 180) she was converted to a partial containership (60 containers, 20' x 8' x 8') in 1971 to resupply Adak and Kodiak. In RRS status at San Francisco in Oct 1973 when (with AK 180) declared excess to requirements. In good condition but obsolete and due for an ABS special survey. To MA custody 21 Nov 1973. To buyer 28 Dec 1977.|
Compiled: 7 Aug 2021
© Stephen S. Roberts, 2021