Quick Links Menu.
USS Redbud (AKL 398) on 2 August 1949.
Click on this photograph for links to larger images of this class.
Class: REDBUD (AKL 398, USCG 180' TENDER)
Design: USCG 180' tender (WAGL)
Displacement (tons): 680 light, 1,070 full
Dimensions (feet): 180' oa, 170' wl x 37' e, 35' wl x 13' max nav
Accommodations: 11 officers, 17 unlicensed
Speed (kts.): 13
Propulsion (HP): 1,200
Machinery: Diesel electric, 1 screw
|398||REDBUD||18 Mar 1949||Marine Iron & SB, Duluth||21 Jul 1943||11 Sep 1943||23 Jul 1949|
|398||REDBUD||Tr||1970||20 Nov 1970||10 Nov 1970||Trf. USCG||--|
The preliminary design for the first batch of 180-foot "C" class coastwide tenders was initiated by the US Lighthouse Service before its amalgamation into the Coast Guard in 1939. In Coast Guard service they tended both lighthouses and buoys. REDBUD was one of 20 ships in the third batch, begun in 1943-44.
On 3 February 1949 SECNAV asked the Secretary of the Treasury for the indefinite loan of REDBUD (WAGL 398) to the Navy, with the Coast Guard retaining the option to recover the vessel whenever the need should arise. The Treasury Department agreed on 18 February 1949. On 28 March 1949 the commander of the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard accepted custody of the ship for the Navy. The Navy commissioned her for resupply in Greenland and converted her at Long Beach. Working from Argentia, Newfoundland, she supported the construction and resupply of Arctic bases.
In November 1951 she was reported as no longer required by the Atlantic Fleet and the Coast Guard had no objection to her transfer to MSTS. She was decommissioned, transferred to MSTS on 12 Dec 1951, and placed in service as USNS REDBUD (T-AKL 398) on 20 Feb 1952. She was reduced to ready reserve at Staten Island 2 Jan 1958 and then placed in full commission 28 Mar 1958 to replace AKL 17 as support ship for the Texas Towers. She also continued her Arctic resupply work.
On 29 September 1970 the Commandant of the Coast Guard wrote to CNO that he understood that REDBUD was then in service with MSC but that MSC was then reorganizing ship schedules in such a manner that REDBUD might become excess to its needs, possibly as early as October 1970. He stated that the Coast Guard would like to exercise its option to recall the ship. On 6 November 1970 CNO informed the Coast Guard that the ship would be available for transfer upon return from her current voyage at Bayonne, N.J. about 15 November 1970.
|398||REDBUD||(ex-AG 398 31 Mar 1949, ex Coast Guard WAGL 398). Transferred on 20 Nov 1970 to the Coast Guard at Curtis Bay and struck. Inactive 1970-72. Trf. 1 Mar 1972 to the Philippines as KALINGA (AK 89).|
Compiled: 9 Aug 2021
© Stephen S. Roberts, 2021