Quick Links Menu.
USNS Mission Buenaventura (T-AO 111).
Click on this photograph for links to larger images of this class.
Class: MISSION BUENAVENTURA (T-AO 111, T2-SE-A2)
Design: MC T2-SE-A2
Displacement (tons): 5,630 light, 21,880 full
Dimensions (feet): 524' oa, 503' wl x 68' e x 30' max nav
Accommodations: 11-13 officers, 34-36 unlicensed
Speed (kts.): 16
Propulsion (HP): 10,000
Machinery: Turbo-electric, 2 boilers (600psi/825deg), 2 screws
|111||MISSION BUENAVENTURA||18 Nov 1947||Marinship||29 Mar 1944||28 May 1944||18 Nov 1947|
|112||MISSION CAPISTRANO||17 Nov 1947||Marinship||29 Feb 1944||7 May 1944||17 Nov 1947|
|113||MISSION CARMEL||21 Oct 1947||Marinship||1 Jan 1944||28 Mar 1944||21 Oct 1947|
|114||MISSION DE PALA||22 Oct 1947||Marinship||26 Nov 1943||28 Feb 1944||22 Oct 1947|
|115||MISSION DOLORES||20 Oct 1947||Marinship||13 Feb 1944||26 Apr 1944||20 Oct 1947|
|116||MISSION LORETO||20 Nov 1947||Marinship||27 Apr 1944||28 Jun 1944||20 Nov 1947|
|117||MISSION LOS ANGELES||24 Oct 1947||Marinship||25 Apr 1945||10 Aug 1945||24 Oct 1947|
|118||MISSION PURISIMA||15 Oct 1947||Marinship||10 Jun 1943||25 Aug 1943||15 Oct 1947|
|119||MISSION SAN ANTONIO||22 Oct 1947||Marinship||15 Jan 1944||8 Apr 1944||22 Oct 1947|
|120||MISSION SAN CARLOS||12 Nov 1947||Marinship||1 Nov 1943||12 Feb 1944||12 Nov 1947|
|121||MISSION SAN DIEGO||17 Oct 1947||Marinship||20 Dec 1943||14 Mar 1944||17 Oct 1947|
|122||MISSION SAN FERNANDO||21 Oct 1947||Marinship||26 Aug 1943||25 Nov 1943||21 Oct 1947|
|123||MISSION SAN FRANCISCO||28 Oct 1947||Marinship||5 May 1945||18 Sep 1945||28 Oct 1947|
|124||MISSION SAN GABRIEL||14 Oct 1947||Marinship||31 Jan 1944||17 Apr 1944||14 Oct 1947|
|125||MISSION SAN JOSE||5 Nov 1947||Marinship||17 Jul 1943||7 Oct 1943||5 Nov 1947|
|126||MISSION SAN JUAN||21 Nov 1947||Marinship||30 Jul 1943||14 Oct 1943||21 Nov 1947|
|127||MISSION SAN LUIS OBISPO||24 Oct 1947||Marinship||18 Apr 1944||18 Jun 1944||24 Oct 1947|
|128||MISSION SAN LUIS REY||23 Oct 1947||Marinship||15 Oct 1943||29 Jan 1944||23 Oct 1947|
|129||MISSION SAN MIGUEL||4 Nov 1947||Marinship||11 Aug 1943||31 Oct 1943||4 Nov 1947|
|130||MISSION SAN RAFAEL||21 Oct 1947||Marinship||25 Sep 1943||31 Dec 1943||21 Oct 1947|
|131||MISSION SANTA BARBARA||20 Oct 1947||Marinship||8 Apr 1944||8 Jun 1944||20 Oct 1947|
|132||MISSION SANTA CLARA||5 Nov 1947||Marinship||15 Mar 1944||18 May 1944||5 Nov 1947|
|133||MISSION SANTA CRUZ||24 Oct 1947||Marinship||26 Jun 1943||8 Sep 1943||24 Oct 1947|
|134||MISSION SANTA YNEZ||22 Oct 1947||Marinship||9 Sep 1943||19 Dec 1943||22 Oct 1947|
|135||MISSION SOLANO||20 Oct 1947||Marinship||8 Oct 1943||14 Jan 1944||20 Oct 1947|
|136||MISSION SOLEDAD||16 Oct 1947||Marinship||12 Jul 1943||28 Sep 1943||16 Oct 1947|
|137||MISSION SANTA ANA||9 Jan 1948||Marinship||18 Apr 1945||25 Jul 1945||9 Jan 1948|
|111||MISSION BUENAVENTURA||T||10 Mar 1972/C||31 Mar 1972||9 Mar 1972||MA||26 Jun 1973|
|112||MISSION CAPISTRANO||T||15 Sep 1970/C||19 Oct 1971||1 Sep 1971||MA||10 Jul 1972|
|113||MISSION CARMEL||T||1957||25 Oct 1957||25 Oct 1957||MA||29 May 1967|
|114||MISSION DE PALA||T||1958||13 Mar 1958||13 Mar 1958||MA||--|
|115||MISSION DOLORES||T||1957||19 Sep 1957||19 Sep 1957||MA||18 Apr 1969|
|116||MISSION LORETO||T||1959||16 Jul 1959||16 Jul 1959||MA||2 Sep 1975|
|117||MISSION LOS ANGELES||T||1959||13 Aug 1959||13 Aug 1959||MA||2 Dec 1975|
|118||MISSION PURISIMA||T||1957||4 Dec 1957||4 Dec 1957||MA||27 Apr 1976|
|119||MISSION SAN ANTONIO||T||11 Jan 1965/C||11 Jan 1965||11 Jan 1965||MA||9 Jun 1965|
|120||MISSION SAN CARLOS||T||1957||6 Nov 1957||6 Nov 1957||MA||16 May 1966|
|121||MISSION SAN DIEGO||T||1957||16 Oct 1957||16 Oct 1957||MA||10 Nov 1966|
|122||MISSION SAN FERNANDO||T||1957||4 Sep 1957||4 Sep 1957||MA||--|
|123||MISSION SAN FRANCISCO||T||1957||20 Mar 1957||7 Mar 1957||Lost||--|
|124||MISSION SAN GABRIEL||T||1957||20 Dec 1957||20 Dec 1957||MA||24 Jun 1966|
|125||MISSION SAN JOSE||T||1957||15 Oct 1957||15 Oct 1957||MA||24 Jun 1966|
|126||MISSION SAN JUAN||T||1958||12 Feb 1958||12 Feb 1958||MA||--|
|127||MISSION SAN LUIS OBISPO||T||1957||24 Sep 1957||24 Sep 1957||MA||25 Mar 1966|
|128||MISSION SAN LUIS REY||T||1957||19 Nov 1957||19 Nov 1957||MA||7 Nov 1972|
|129||MISSION SAN MIGUEL||T||1957||20 Dec 1957||9 Oct 1957||Lost||--|
|130||MISSION SAN RAFAEL||T||15 Jan 1970/C||28 Apr 1970||23 Jan 1970||MA||25 Jun 1971|
|131||MISSION SANTA BARBARA||T||1957||8 Nov 1957||8 Nov 1957||MA||25 Mar 1966|
|132||MISSION SANTA CLARA||T||1959||31 May 1974||17 Jan 1963||Trf Pakistan||--|
|133||MISSION SANTA CRUZ||T||Aug 1970||15 Sep 1970||25 Jun 1971||MA/S||--|
|134||MISSION SANTA YNEZ||T||6 Mar 1975/C||1 Nov 1990||20 Oct 1992||MA/T||15 Jan 2010|
|135||MISSION SOLANO||T||1957||15 Aug 1957||15 Aug 1957||MA||26 May 1967|
|136||MISSION SOLEDAD||T||1957||31 Oct 1957||31 Oct 1957||MA||4 Nov 1966|
|137||MISSION SANTA ANA||T||1958||25 Feb 1958||25 Feb 1958||MA||2 Dec 1975|
During mid-1942 tanker sinkings in the Atlantic were exceeding the rate of new construction, and in response the Maritime Commission (MC) added several tanker yards to its emergency shipbuilding effort. On 27 July 1942 the MC informed one of its yards then building Liberty ships, Marinship in Sausalito, Calif., that it would be converted to tanker construction. The MC issued an order for 22 turbo-electric T2 tankers to Marinship on 9 October 1942. The factories producing the 6,000 hp propulsion plants for the T2-SE-A1 tankers were already producing at peak capacity, but it was determined that the General Electric Co. would be able to furnish 10,000 hp units in time to meet the launching schedules at Marinship. The 10,000 hp plant had been developed for the ten P2-SE-A1 type troop transports (the AP 120 class) then on order at the nearby Bethlehem Steel Co. Alameda shipyard. Marinship was instructed to fit the larger plant into its tankers, designated T2-SE-A2, while retaining as much of the T2-SE-A1 design as possible. The MC made the problem even harder by adding a bulkhead in the engineering spaces. As a result the bilge, fire and water pumps and the main thrust bearing, which had been conveniently located together aft of the lower engine room space, had to be squeezed in beside the propeller shaft and in front of the main propulsion motor, producing very crowded machinery spaces. Other major design changes were also made to the engineering plant, including the use of high-pressure, high-temperature boilers with special alloy fittings. A benefit of the change was that the A2's had a designed speed of 16 knots instead of the 14.5 knots of the A1's, but a drawback for commercial use was that this increased their operating costs.
On 1 March 1945 the MC ordered four more of these ships (MC hulls 2697-2700) to the new T2-SE-A3 type, which was essentially a T2-SE-A2 with the Navy's conversion features incorporated into the construction plans rather than being added later. The last three were completed without these features as T2-SE-A2 type merchant ships after their Navy cancellation on 18 August 1945, soon becoming AO 117, 123, and 137.
In the postwar economic boom the Navy was unable to buy all of the oil it needed from its former domestic suppliers and had to transport large quantities from the Persian Gulf. In October 1947 it asked the Maritime Commission for 50 T2 tankers to be operated by the Navy with civilian crews. On 7 October 1947 it asked for 26 T2-SE-A2 tankers which had been laid up in 1946 after civilian war service. The Maritime Commission agreed on 15 October 1947 and the ships were delivered in October-November 1947, becoming AO 111-136. On 13 October 1947 CNO authorized the Commander of the 8th Naval District to accept thirteen of these from the Maritime Commission, explaining that commercial names would be retained and that AO numbers were temporarily assigned for BUSHIPS accounting purposes only. (These were assigned in alphabetical order of their civilian names.) They were to be undocumented public vessels operated by commercial contractors and referred to as USNT (U.S. Naval Tanker) and the name. Similar orders went to the 12th Naval district for four ships, the 13th Naval District for six ships, and on 14 October 1947 to the 5th Naval District for three ships. On 15 October 1947 the Maritime Commission also agreed to the return and reconversion for civilian operation of 24 former Navy tankers, 14 T2-SE-A2's and A3's of the AO 80 and AO 101 classes and 10 T2-SE-A1's of the AO 49 class. During October 1947 the MC transferred these 24 tankers from the reserve fleets to commercial firms acting as operating agents, presumably to oversee the movement of the ships to shipyards and their reactivation. When reactivation was complete in January-March 1948 the MC transferred ownership of the vessels to the Navy. When PONAGANSET (AO 86) broke in half on 9 December 1947 during reconversion the MC replaced her with AO 137, the Commander of the 12th Naval District being informed on 2 January 1948. The Navy ultimately obtained all but one of the Marinship T2-SE-A2 and T2-SE-A3 type tankers (including AO 80-88, 91-96, and 101), the exception being MISSION SANTA MARIA (MC hull 1825), which grounded off the coast of Florida in 1946 and was sold for commercial use later that year as SS CYRUS. (She lasted to 1972.)
The Navy listed these ships as "U.S. Naval Tankers" in the Naval Vessel Register separately from the commissioned "oilers - fuel oil tankers" but all as AOs. The U.S. Naval Tankers (USNT) were Navy-owned tankers manned by civilian crews of about 9 officers and 39 men. They were assigned to the Naval Transportation Service (NTS) and were operated by four civilian firms acting as operating agents: Marine Transport Lines, Inc. (New York), Pacific Tankers, Inc. (San Francisco), American Pacific Steamship Co. (San Pedro), and Tankers Company, Inc. (New York). The 24 former Navy ships continued to be coded in the Naval Vessel Register as "stricken" while they were in use as U.S. Naval Tankers.
All of the U.S. Naval Tankers were transferred to the new Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) effective 1 October 1949 as "Non-Commissioned Naval Vessels manned by Civilian Personnel." Like all other civilian-manned MSTS ships, they were redesignated "U.S. Naval Ships" (USNS). AO 112-114, 116, 124, 126, 129, and 133 were inactivated upon receipt by MSTS in November-December 1949 but were soon reactivated for the Korean War. The former Naval Tankers became one of the three major components of the new MSTS, the others being the commissioned cargo ships and oilers of the former Naval Transportation Service and the personnel transports of the former Army Transportation Service. The prefix "T" for MSTS/MSC ships originated in a letter of 1 December 1949 from Commander MSTS to CNO in which MSTS recommended among other things that be extended to former Naval Transportation Service ships, both commissioned and noncommissioned, while they were assigned to MSTS. However inasmuch as the prefix "T" was to be used for purposes of identification, it was not to appear as part of the classification symbol in the listing of MSTS ships in the Naval Vessels Register (NVR) or Ship Data U.S. Naval Vessels (the Ships Data Book). CNO approved these recommendations on 27 December 1949. On 22 February 1950 CNO approved the assignment of the status "Active, In Service" for all non-commissioned vessels assigned to MSTS, including the former naval tankers with civilian crews. However, of the non-commissioned ex-Navy tankers then in operation under MSTS, 14 T2s (7 AO 49 class, 6 AO 80 class, and 1 AO 101 class) and 1 T1 (AOG 68) were still being coded in the "Naval Vessel Register" as "stricken," a holdover from their USNT status. The Secretary of the Navy resolved this technical conflict by promulgating a letter on 28 April 1950 formally reinstating them on the "List of Naval Vessels." The same situation applied to nine more ex-Navy T2s (3 AO 49 class and 6 AO 80 class) that had been operated with civilian crews until they were inactivated in late 1949; these were restored to the list on 20 March 1950.
On 21 May 1956 Commander MSTS wrote to CNO a long explanation of why he was requesting authority to reacquire ten T2-SE-A2 takers then laid up in the NDRF. The Cargo Preference Act of 1954 required MSTS to transport a minimum of 50% bulk POL in world-wide point-to-point transportation via US flag commercial tankers "to the extent such vessels are available at fair and reasonable rates for US flag commercial vessels. Immediately upon passage of this act MSTS commenced inactivation of Government owned tankers to reduce the Government owned tanker fleet to a level complant with the act. By December 1955 MSTS had reduced its tanker fleet engaged in the trade referenced in the act to 33 T2 tankers and 3 T1's. At the mid point of FY 1956 analysis showed that MSTS was in compliance with the act and that three additional T2 inactivations would assure absolute continuing compliance. In late November 1955, however, MSTS was confronted with an extraordinary and wholly unanticipated rise in voyage charter tanker rates coupled with a general inadequacy of the number of tankers offered. MSTS sought advice from the Maritime Administrator as to what constituted "fair and reasonable rates for US flag commercial vessels." The ruling was that tanker rates of USMC plus 25% for black (oil) tankers and USMC plus 35% for clean tankers were fair and reasonable. These rates were consistently exceeded between December 1955 and June 1956 except for a brief period betwen late March and mid-April. Attempts to negotiate future contracts showed that rates would continue to rise and that commercial US flag ships might not be available at any price. Commander MSTS concluded that he would be subject to censure for payment of excessive rates. He recommended that ten T2-SE-A2 tankers then laid up in the NDRF be reacquired so that MSTS could perform the required point-to-point transportation of DOD bulk POL. The ten ships were T-AO 82, 85, 87, 115, 116, 118, 122, 127, 128, and 130. These were expected to result in about two-thirds of the bulk POL lift by MSTS being carried in Government-owned ships and the balance of one third being carried in US flag commercial ships. SECNAV requested the ships from the Department of Commerce on 22 May 1956 and Commerce agreed on 6 June 1956.
On 12 June 1956 Commander MSTS wrote to CNO that his letter of 21 May 1956 had described the situation in the commercial tanker market as "too few ships at too high a rate," but had not fully appreciated just how few tankers and how high a rate there would be. MSTS in May had then felt that twelve to eighteen privately owned US flag tankers would be available to MSTS each month, but MSTS was now faced with a almost complete nonavailability of US flag commercial tankers. It thus found itself compelled to request the reacquisition of the remaining seven of the seventeen T2 tankers placed in the NDRF by MSTS. These ships were T-AO 93, 112, 114, 119, 121, 133, and 137. SECNAV requested the ships from Commerce on 14 June 1956 and Commerce concurred on 28 June 1956. In accordance with standard MSTS practice, these tankers were assigned to commercial firms for operation.
Eight more reactivations followed, some or all from Navy reserve fleets. T-AO 120 was accepted by MSTS at Philadelphia on 16 October 1956 and immediately delivered to her commercial operator. T-AO 111, T-AO 123, and T-AO 126 were delivered to MSTS at Orange, Texas, on 19 October 1956. T-AO 124, 129, 131, and 138 were transferred from the San Diego Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet to MSTS and to their commercial operators on 1 November 1956. On 7 November 1956 the Maritime Administrator described to CNO the circumstances under which MARAD had initiated the activation of twelve non-naval T2 tankers, which became the T-AO 153 class (q.v.).
MISSION CAPISTRANO (T-AO 112) was converted in 1960 to a "Sound Testing Ship" by the Todd Pacific Shipyards at New Orleans. On 6 May 1960 Commander MSTS informed CNO that USNS MISSION CAPISTRANO was then undergoing modification for participation in Project ARTEMIS. The extensive redesign of the ship would preclude her future use as a tanker without extensive reconversion. The duration of the project was assumed to be about two years (she actually served to 1970) and there was then no foreseen requirement for restoration of her original characteristics. Accordingly MSTS recommended that the identifying classification be changed from T-AO to T-AG effective 1 July 1960. According to the Naval Research Reviews
of August 1961 (pages 26-28) "a modified Navy tanker and a new Texas-type tower have joined the Navy's Project ARTEMIS. This project is an exploratory development effort, sponsored by the Office of Naval Research, to determine the feasibility of using a large transducer ... and high-gain receivers, together with advanced data-processing equipment, for submarine detection. This particular concept was proposed by Dr. Frederick V. Hunt, a Harvard professor, in 1951. In recognition of his work, the project was named after Artemis - Greek goddess of the hunt. The former T2 class Navy tanker is the USNS MISSION CAPISTRANO which has recently undergone extensive modifications to fit her for her new role. Aft of her bridge she now contains a large well for stowing and lowering and raising the giant transducer (five stories high) and associated equipment in and out of the water.... Below decks, the space formerly occupied by seven large tanks is now used to stow the power supply and auxiliary equipment for the transducer.... The Texas-type tower, built in 1960 under the direction of the Bureau of Yards and Docks and named the "Argus Island," is located in 190 feet of water above an extinct volcano about 30 miles south of Bermuda." The purpose of the program was to determine the feasibility of active acoustic ocean surveillance to locate submarines at very long range in large ocean areas, with the Texas-type tower serving as a relay point for hydrophones (receivers) placed on the ocean floor. MISSION CAPISTRANO operated primarily in the area north of the Bahamas to Cape Hatteras and Bermuda. Ultimately the SOSUS program for passive acoustic surveillance was adopted instead.
On 14 December 1964 SECNAV's office informed MARAD that MISSION SAN ANTONIO, a T2-SE-A2 type tanker then active with MSTS, would require a major expenditure for an overhaul and for 1964 and 1965 steel renewal requirements. A survey of former MSTS tankers in the NDRF indicated that the T2-SE-A1 tanker SHAWNEE TRAIL could be reactivated with savings in excess of $500,000. Additionally, due to the lower operating costs of the T2-SE-A1 design, an annual savings of approximatly $80,000 could be realized. The Navy added that while large expenditures had been made in the past for steel renewals of T2 tankers, it was believed that these ships, including MISSION SAN ANTONIO, had now reached an age where extensive steel replacement was rarely justified. The Navy did not recommend that MISSION SAN ANTONIO be added to the priority list of NDRF ships, and instead she became one of the first T2-SE-A2s to receive complex conversions to container ships.
In 1966 MARAD sold nine T2-SE-A2 tankers under its exchange program to Hudson Waterways Corp. (associated with Seatrain Lines) for domestic service as container ships. Vietnam War service for MSTS was soon included and became the primary role for the seven Newport News and Maryland conversions. MISSION SAN LUIS OBISPO, MISSION SAN CARLOS, PAMANSET (ex AO 85, q.v.) and MISSION SANTA BARBARA went to Newport News for conversion, MISSION SAN JOSE, TOMAHAWK (AO 88, q.v.), and MISSION SAN DIEGO went to the Maryland SB & DD Co. of Baltimore, and MISSION SAN GABRIEL and MISSION SOLEDAD went to the Savannah Machine & Foundry Co. The Newport News and Baltimore ships were lengthened, had the bridge house moved aft, a spardeck and two cranes added on top of the cargo section, and rail tracks fitted on the old tank deck. At Newport News the mid-section of the T2 FRUITVALE HILLS was divided into three 36.5' sections to lengthen all but MISSION SAN CARLOS, which used a 296 foot forebody built in 1953 that was already at Newport News from a jumboized T2 that had exploded and broken in half at sea in 1964. The Savannah ships, including a third (MISSION SAN ANTONIO) obtained by Hudson Waterways in a private sale, were not lengthened but their bridge houses were moved forward to make room for containers. They were used in domestic trade including to Puerto Rico and U.S. Pacific territories.
On 18 January 1970 the Commander of MSC informed CNO that he had decided to inactivate a portion of the MSC T2 tanker fleet due to operating costs and current MSC tanker requirements. As a result, T-AO 67, 77, and 78 were to be transferred to the permanent custody of MARAD with recommendation for retention in the NDRF for mobilization purposes and T-AO 111, 140, and 142 were to be transferred to the temporary custody of MARAD without recommendation for retention in the NDRF. In addition, T-AO 116, 128, and 138 were to be removed from the NDRF retention list and made available for scrapping.
In 1978 the navy created the new classification symbol AOT, "Transport Oiler," for the MSC tankers that carried oil from point to point rather than delivering it to fleet units. On 14 September 1978 effective 30 September 1978 CNO reclassified from AO to AOT the six surviving units of the AO 49 class (AO 50, 67, 73, 75, 76, and 78, all by then in reserve), along with the single surviving tanker in the postwar AO 111-142 and 153-164 group, MISSION SANTA YNEZ (AOT 134, also in reserve).
As noted above the AO hull numbers were assigned in alphabetical order of the ships' civilian names and not in the order of their construction. The T2-SE-A2s were built in the following order: USS ESCAMBIA class (MC 1259-1267, AO 80-88), MISSION PURISIMA (MC 1268, AO 118), MISSION SANTA CRUZ (MC 1269, AO 133), MISSION SOLEDAD (MC 1270, AO 136), MISSION SAN JOSE (MC 1271, AO 125), MISSION SAN JUAN (MC 1272, AO 126), MISSION SAN MIGUEL (MC 1273, AO 129), MISSION SAN FERNANDO (MC 1274, AO 122), MISSION SANTA YNEZ (MC 1275, AO 134), MISSION SAN RAFAEL (MC 1276, AO 130), MISSION SOLANO (MC 1277, AO 135), MISSION SAN LUIS REY (MC 1278, AO 128), MISSION SAN CARLOS (MC 1279, AO 120), MISSION DE PALA (MC 1280, AO 114), MISSION SAN DIEGO (MC 1814, AO 121), MISSION CARMEL (MC 1815, AO 113), MISSION SAN ANTONIO (MC 1816, AO 119), MISSION SAN GABRIEL (MC 1817, AO 124), MISSION DOLORES (MC 1818, AO 115), MISSION CAPISTRANO (MC 1819, AO 112), MISSION SANTA CLARA (MC 1820, AO 132), MISSION BUENAVENTURA (MC 1821, AO 111), MISSION SANTA BARBARA (MC 1822, AO 131), MISSION SAN LUIS OBISPO (MC 1823, AO 127), MISSION LORETO (MC 1824, AO 116), MISSION SANTA MARIA (MC 1825, see above), USS PASIG class (MC 1826-27, AW 3-4), and USS SOUBARISSEN class (MC 1828-31, AO 93-96). These were followed by four ordered as T2-SE-A3's: USS COHOCTON (MC 2697, MISSION SANTA ANA (MC 2698, AO 137), MISSION LOS ANGELES (MC 2699, AO 117), and MISSION SAN FRANCISCO (MC 2700, AO 123). The T2-SE-A2 tankers had small funnels through MC hull 1815 plus MC hull 1817, the later units starting with MC hull 1816 had larger funnels similar to those in T2-SE-A1's. AO 114, 122, and 126 are included in the tables on this page to cover their service as tankers but they were then rebuilt as missile range ships (AGMs) and their later service and disposals are covered in that section.
|111||MISSION BUENAVENTURA||1821||Completed 28 Jun 1944. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. In USN reserve Sep 1954 to Oct 1956. To MA custody 4 Apr 1960, to MA (permanent custody) 1 Apr 1961, stk. 1 Jul 1961. From MA 10 Nov 1961, reinst. Nov 1961. To MA custody (temporary) 10 Mar 1972. To buyer 13 Dec 1973.|
|112||MISSION CAPISTRANO||1819||Completed 14 Jun 1944. Active in MSTS 18 Jul 1950. To MA custody 10 Jan 1955, stk. 22 Jun 1955 (est), from MA and reinst. 5 Jul 1956. Converted 1960 to a "Sound Testing Ship" by Todd, New Orleans. Reclas AG 162 1 Jul 1960. To MA custody 15 Sep 1970. Sold 10 Jul 1972 in scrap sale for non-transportation use, to buyer 7 Dec 1972, renamed CAPISTRANO, resold 15 Mar 1973 and converted to drilling rig. Renamed MISSION EXPLORATION 1975, BU 25 Jun-31 Aug 1980 at Brownsville.|
|113||MISSION CARMEL||1815||Completed 17 May 1944. Delivered 29 Nov 1947 after reactivation to Union Oil Co. of Calif. for operation (took possession 14 Dec 1947). Active in MSTS 18 Jul 1950. Sold under MA exchange program, to buyer 29 May 1967, renamed HOUSTON 28 Oct 1967 probably on completion of conversion to container ship (sister to JACKSONVILLE, ex MISSION SOLANO). Sold 30 Sep 1983, arrived in Spain Mar 1984 to BU.|
|114||MISSION DE PALA||1280||Completed 22 Apr 1944. Delivered 25 Oct 1947 by Todd-Johnson DD after reactivation. Active in MSTS 21 Jul 1950. To MA custody 15 Nov 1954, stk. 22 Jun 1955, from MA custody and reinst. 6 Jul 1956. To USN from MA 19 Oct 1964 as REDSTONE (T-AGM 20), q.v.|
|115||MISSION DOLORES||1818||Completed 31 May 1944. Delivered 16 Jan 1948 after reactivation for operation to Pacific Tankers for operation. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. To MA 30 Mar 1955, stk. 22 Jun 1955, from MA and reinst. 27 Jun 1956. Sold 18 Apr 1969 under MA exchange program, to buyer 21 Apr 1969. Converted to container ship by Todd, Galveston, renamed TAMPA 30 Oct 1969. BU 1984 in Spain.|
|116||MISSION LORETO||1824||Completed 22 Jul 1944. Active in MSTS 18 Jul 1950. To MA and stk. 25 Aug 1955, from MA and reinst. 25 Jun 1956. Struck again 1 Feb 1972 when removed from the NDRF retention list. To buyer 29 Sep 1975.|
|117||MISSION LOS ANGELES||2699||Originally USS CONECUH (AO 103, T2-SE-A3 type), cancelled as such 18 Aug 1945 and completed for MC as MISSION LOS ANGELES 29 Oct 1945. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. To MA for berthing 12 Nov 1957 to 22 May 1958, then back to the Navy for Arctic operations. To buyer 2 Jan 1976.|
|118||MISSION PURISIMA||1268||Completed 23 Nov 1943. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. To MA custody 16 May 1955, struck 22 Jun 1955, from MA and reinstated 26 Jun 1956. Moved in Navy Support Plan from MSC use to Navy Organic Use 28 Jan 1971, converted to floating storage facility. Sold to BU 27 Apr 1976.|
|119||MISSION SAN ANTONIO||1816||Completed 24 May 1944. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. To MA 22 Nov 1954, stk. 22 Jun 1955 (est), from MA and reinst. 6 Jul 1956. To MA for berthing 7 Nov 1957 to 21 May 1958, to Navy for Arctic operations, back in MA custody 16 Dec 1959 to 9 Jun 1960 when to MSTS for more Arctic operations. To MA permanent custody 11 Jan 1965. Sold 3 May 1965 to Florida Waterways Corp. in a scrap sale that authorized operation except in carriage of liquid cargoes and renamed TRANSARCTIC 27 Aug 1965. Resold 24 Jan 1966 to Hudson Waterways Corp. for conversion to container ship by Savannah Machine & Foundry Co., Savannah, Ga., renamed SEATRAIN SAN JUAN Sep 1966. To MA reserve 20 Nov 1973, renamed SAN JUAN 8 Aug 1978, sold 1 Aug 1983 to BU, to buyer 26 Oct 1983, BU in Spain 31 Jan 1984.|
|120||MISSION SAN CARLOS||1279||Completed 15 Apr 1944. Delivered 26 Feb 1948 after reactivation to Marine Transport Lines for operation. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. In USN reserve 1 Dec 1954 to 16 Oct 1956, then back to Marine Transport Lines for operation. Sold 16 May 1966 under MA exchange program and renamed SEATRAIN MARYLAND 16 May 1966 for conversion at Newport News to carry diversified cargoes including vehicles, to buyer 27 May 1966. Stern of MISSION SAN CARLOS joined at Newport News to a forepart built in 1953 for SAN JACINTO (ex-T2 FORT MERCER) but broken off in 1964 and converted to vehicle carrier Apr 1967. To MA reserve 30 Dec 1974, renamed MARYLAND 8 Aug 1978, ownership changed 5 Jun 1984, to scrap buyer 21 Feb 1985.|
|121||MISSION SAN DIEGO||1814||Completed 30 Apr 1944. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. To MA 30 Dec 1954, stk. 22 Jun 1955, from MA and (est) reinst. 3 Jul 1956. Sold 1966 under MA exchange program for conversion at Maryland SB & DD Co. of Baltimore to container ship, renamed SEATRAIN WASHINGTON 4 Nov 1966 and to buyer 10 Nov 1966. Stern of MISSION SAN DIEGO joined to mid-section of ex-MISSION SAN JOSE and fore section of ex-TOMAHAWK. To MA reserve 15 Aug 1975, renamed WASHINGTON 27 May 1977 for RRF, participated in Reforger exercises as Ready Reserve Force ship in 1977 and 1980, Desert Storm Aug 1990 to May 1991, from RRF to NDRF 12 Jun 1991. Arrived Brownsville 9 Feb 2001 to BU (contract with ESCO 31 Mar 1999).|
|122||MISSION SAN FERNANDO||1274||Completed 29 Feb 1944. To Union Oil Co. of Calif. for operation 14 Dec 1947. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. To MA custody 24 May 1955, stk. 22 Jun 1955, from MA custody and reinst. 21 Jun 1956, to Marine Transportation Lines for operation same date. To USN from MA 28 Sep 1964 as VANGUARD (T-AGM 19), q.v.|
|123||MISSION SAN FRANCISCO||2700||Originally USS CONTOCOOK (AO 104, T2-SE-A3 type), cancelled as such 18 Aug 1945 and completed for MC as MISSION SAN FRANCISCO 11 Oct 1945. Delivered 7 Jan 1948 after reactivation to Tankers Co. Inc. for operation. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. In USN reserve 18 Jan 1954 to 20 Oct 1956. Lost 7 Mar 1957 in collision with Liberian freighter ELNA II and ensuing explosion in the Delaware River.|
|124||MISSION SAN GABRIEL||1817||Completed 27 May 1944. Delivered 13 Jan 1948 after reactivation to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operation. Active in MSTS 18 Jul 1950. In USN reserve 31 Mar 1954 to 1 Nov 1956. Sold 1966 under MA exchange program and renamed DELAWARE 24 Jun 1966 for conversion to container ship by Savannah Machine & Foundry Co., Savannah, Ga. To buyer 28 Jun 1966, renamed SEATRAIN DELAWARE 21 Nov 1966. To MA reserve 14 May 1973, renamed DELAWARE 8 Aug 1978, sold 1 Aug 1983 to BU, to buyer 16 Oct 1983.|
|125||MISSION SAN JOSE||1271||Completed 29 Jan 1944. Delivered 18 Jan 1948 after reactivation to Tankers Co. for operation. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. Sold 1966 under MA exchange program and renamed OHIO 24 Jun 1966 for conversion at Maryland SB & DD Co. of Baltimore to container ship. To buyer 8 July 1966. Stern of MISSION SAN JOSE joined to mid-section of TOMAHAWK and fore section of MISSION SAN DIEGO, converted ship renamed SEATRAIN OHIO 28 Aug 1967, To MA reserve 30 Nov 1973, renamed OHIO 8 Aug 1978 for RRF. From NDRF at Beaumont to Beaumont Reserve Fleet for warehouse use and renamed service craft SSE 518 Feb 1990. Arrived Brownsville 22 Apr 2011 to BU.|
|126||MISSION SAN JUAN||1272||Completed 31 Jan 1944. Delivered 4 Feb 1948 after reactivation to Tankers Co., Inc. for operation. Active in MSTS 18 Jul 1950. In USN reserve 28 Jan 1954 to 20 Oct 1956. To USN from MA 28 Oct 1964 as MERCURY (T-AGM 21), q.v.|
|127||MISSION SAN LUIS OBISPO||1823||Completed 15 Jul 1944. Turned over to conditional custody of Tankers Co. Inc., 14 Jan 1948. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. To MA custody 9 Nov 1954, stk. 22 Jun 1955, from MA and reinst. 27 Jun 1956. Sold 25 Mar 1966 under MA exchange program and renamed SEATRAIN PUERTO RICO Mar 1966 for conversion at Newport News to carry diversified cargoes including vehicles. To buyer 1 Apr 1966, lengthened by insertion of a 36.5'section of the T2 FRUITVALE HILLS and converted to vehicle carrier Jul 1966. To MA reserve 19 Dec 1974, renamed PUERTO RICO 27 May 1977 for RRF, to scrap buyer 10 Mar 1986.|
|128||MISSION SAN LUIS REY||1278||Completed 31 Mar 1944. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. To MA 6 May 1955, stk. 22 Jun 1955, from MA and reinst. 22 Jun 1956. Moved in Navy Support Plan from MSC use to Navy Organic Use 28 Jan 1971. Struck again 1 Feb 1972 when removed from the NDRF retention list. To buyer 18 Dec 1972.|
|129||MISSION SAN MIGUEL||1273||Completed 19 Feb 1944. Delivered 27 Apr 1948 after reactivation to American Pacific Steamship Co. for operation. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. In USN reserve 27 May 1950 to 21 Jul 1950 and 28 May 1954 to 1 Nov 1956. Wrecked on Laysan Is. Reef (Maro Reef), Hawaii, at full speed while enroute from Guam to Seattle in ballast. Found not to be a menace to navigation and salvage not recommended 29 Oct 1957. Disposal authorized by SECNAV 20 Dec 1957. Wreck re-discovered 3 Aug 2015 in the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument between Hawaii and Midway.|
|130||MISSION SAN RAFAEL||1276||Completed 22 Mar 1944. Delivered 13 Dec 1947 after reactivation to Union Oil Co. of Calif. for operation. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. To MA 2 Feb 1955, stk. 22 Jun 1955, from MA and reinst. 20 Jun 1956. To MA custody 20 Aug 1959, from MA 31 May 1960. Declared uneconomical to operate 17 Nov 1969 and to MA custody 15 Jan 1970 as a scrap candidate. To buyer 12 Jul 1971.|
|131||MISSION SANTA BARBARA||1822||Completed 8 Jul 1944. Delivered 29 Nov 1947 after reactivation to Union Oil Co. of Calif. for operation. Inactivation suspended 7 Jul 1950. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. In USN reserve 12 Apr 1954 to 1 Nov 1956. Sold 25 Mar 1966 under MA exchange program and renamed SEATRAIN CAROLINA Mar 1966 for conversion at Newport News to carry diversified cargoes including vehicles. To buyer 7 Apr 1966, lengthened by insertion of a 36.5'section of the T2 FRUITVALE HILLS and converted to vehicle carrier. To MA reserve 18 Apr 1974, renamed CAROLINA 8 Aug 1978, sold 30 May 1984, to buyer 20 Feb 1985.|
|132||MISSION SANTA CLARA||1820||Completed 21 Jun 1944. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949. To MA custody 25 Jun 1959, to MSTS 30 Nov 1959 to 22 Dec 1959, to MA (permanent custody) 1 Apr 1961, stk. 1 Jul 1961. Reinst. 1 May 1962, from MA 10 May 1962 for a limited conversion to a fleet (underway replenishment) oiler under the FY 1962 Military Assistance Program. Loaned to Pakistan as DACCA Nov 1962, damaged beyond repair on 8 Dec 1971 off Karachi by the Indian Styx missile boat VINASH, ship sold to Pakistan May 1974.|
|133||MISSION SANTA CRUZ||1269||Completed 31 Dec 1943. Active in MSTS 18 Jul 1950. To MA 23 Nov 1954, stk. 22 Jun 1955 (estimated), from MA custody and reinst. 10 Jul 1956. In Navy custody 4 Dec 1959 to 31 May 1960. Declared unsuitable for continued service because of overhaul costs 24 Aug 1970 and in MA custody from 6 Oct 1970 to 25 Jun 1971. To buyer 8 Sep 1971.|
|134||MISSION SANTA YNEZ||1275||Completed 13 Mar 1944. Active in MSTS 1 Oct 1949, continuous MSTS service until delivered to MA (temporary) custody 6 Mar 1975, still in good condition after a FRAM II overhaul in 1964. To MA (permanent custody) 1 Jul 1976. To AOT 30 Sep 1978. Considered Jul-Sep 1992 for retention as source of spare parts for VANGUARD and REDSTONE (AGM 19-20) but cost of asbestos abatement was prohibitive. Title to MA 20 Oct 1992. Became the last T2 tanker in existence. Scrapping contract effective 15 Jan 2010 signed by ESCO Marine 30 Dec 2009 and by gov't 31 Dec 2009. Departed reserve fleet 31 Mar 2010 for Brownsville, BU completed 20 Sep 2010.|
|135||MISSION SOLANO||1277||Completed 30 Mar 1944. Delivered 29 Nov 1947 after reactivation to Pacific Atlantic Steamship Co. for operation. Inactivation suspended 28 Jul 1950. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. Sold 26 May 1967 under MA exchange program, to buyer 1 Jun 1967, renamed JACKSONVILLE Dec 1967, conversion at Galveston to container ship (sister to HOUSTON, ex MISSION CARMEL) completed 19 Jan 1968. Sold 30 Sep 1983, arrived in Spain Mar 1984 to BU.|
|136||MISSION SOLEDAD||1270||Completed 16 Jan 1944. Delivered 12 Jan 1948 after reactivation to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operation. Inactivation suspended 7 Jul 1950. Active in MSTS 31 Jul 1950. Sold 1966 under MA exchange program and renamed SEATRAIN CALIFORNIA 7 Nov 1966 for conversion to container ship by Savannah Machine & Foundry Co., Savannah, Ga. To buyer 29 Dec 1966. Renamed TRANSONTARIO 21 Feb 1967, to Panamanian flag 21 Aug 1975, Arrived Kaohsiung 15 Jun 1979 to BU.|
|137||MISSION SANTA ANA||2698||Originally USS CONCHO (AO 102, T2-SE-A3 type), cancelled as such 18 Aug 1945 and completed for MC as MISSION SANTA ANA 25 Oct 1945. Acquired in place of AO 86 when the latter broke in half. Due at San Francisco about 8 Jan 1948 under operation for MC by Pacific Tankers, Inc., and delivered 9 Jan 1948 by the Navy back to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for further operation. Active in MSTS 3 Apr 1950. Ordered deactivated 16 Mar 1950 but AO 136 substituted 3 Apr 1950. To MA 27 Jan 1955, stk. 22 Jun 1955, from MA and reinst. 3 Jul 1956. Struck again 1 Aug 1974. To buyer 6 Jan 1976.|
Compiled: 18 Sep 2021
© Stephen S. Roberts, 2021
Special sources: Thomas Wildenberg, Gray Steel and Black Oil (Annapolis, 1996)