Quick Links Menu.
US Army Sgt Clarence W. Foss (LT 132, Design 228)
Click on this photograph for links to larger images of this class.
Class: ATA 241 (ARMY LT DESIGN 228)
Design: Army Design 228 (123', steel"
Displacement (tons): 740.4 full, 482.1 light
Dimensions (feet): 122'10" oa x 30' x 18' depth
Original armament: none
Speed (kts.): 12
Propulsion (HP): 1,225
Machinery: Diesel, 1 screw
|241||ATA-241||1 Nov 1950||Calumet SY/DD, S. Chicago||1 Oct 1942||Dec 1943||15 Jun 1951|
|242||ATA-242||1 Nov 1950||Tampa Marine||25 Sep 1942||ca Dec 1943||4 Jun 1951|
|243||ATA-243||1 Nov 1950||Jakobsen SY, Oyster Bay, NY||28 May 1943||30 Mar 1945||5 Jun 1951|
|ATA||Name||T||Out of Serv||Strike||Disposal||Fate||MA Sale/Depart|
|241||ATA-241||T||4 Sep 1953||1 Sep 1962||1 Sep 1962||MA||8 Dec 1971|
|242||ATA-242||T||13 Aug 1953||1 Sep 1962||1 Sep 1962||MA||8 Dec 1971|
|243||ATA-243||T||31 Aug 1953||1 Sep 1962||1 Sep 1962||MA||8 Dec 1971|
Built to Army design 228 under Army contracts dated 1 Oct 1942 (LT 60), 25 Sep 1942 (LT 132), and 28 May 1943 (LT 646). LT 60, 132, and 646 (ATA 241-243) were among Army vessels and service craft in Alaska that MSTS and the Army's Chief of Transportation mutually agreed would be transferred on 1 Nov 50 and for which classification and hull numbers were approved on 31 Oct 1950. When sufficient personnel became available these tugs were placed in commission in mid-1951 and assigned to MSTS Kodiak for operations in Alaska (Bering Sea area resupply). All three passed to MSTS 26 Oct 1951 and were taken out of commission and put in service. Thereafter they were continuously employed. On 2 March 1953 Commander MSTS requested replacement of these tugs by three Navy ATA's then in the Columbia Reserve fleet. The ex-Army tugs had not proved satisfactory in endurance, largely because when they were placed in the ocean towing service it was found necessary to limit their load drafts to ensure a satisfactory freeboard (given in the registers as 4' 6.5" except 3' 8.5" for ATA 243), meaning each tug could carry only 72% of its designed tankage with a corresponding reduction in steaming endurance. They were also not self-sustaining in fresh water. To maintain the stability rquired for ocean towing they had to ballast fresh and potable water tanks, and the fresh water needed to to flush and refill these tanks was not available in the quantities needed in the Aleutian Chain area. Finally, spare parts for them were not readily available in the Navy supply system because they were not Navy in design and equipment. On 31 Mar 1953 CNO proposed to provide ATA 174, 175, and 205 under civilian operation as replacements. The replacements subsequently became ATA 174 and 194, which were placed in service on 13 Aug 1953 and 31 Aug 1953 respectively allowing the inactivation of the ex-Army tugs.
|241||ATA-241||(ex-COL. THOMAS E. CLIFFORD JR., ex-LT-60, completed Dec 1943). Out of commission and in service 16 Nov 1951. Transferred to Columbia Group 11 Jan 1954. In USN reserve 1954-62.|
|242||ATA-242||(ex- SGT. CLARENCE WILLIAM FOSS, ex-LT-132, completed ca Dec 1943). Out of commission and in service 29 Nov 1951. Transferred to Columbia Group 10 Jan 1954. In USN reserve 1954-62.|
|243||ATA-243||(ex-PVT. GABRIEL CHAVEZ, ex-LT-646, completed 30 Mar 1945). Out of commission and in service 2 Nov 1951. Transferred to Columbia Group 11 Jan 1954. In USN reserve 1954-62.|
Compiled: 18 Aug 2021
© Stephen S. Roberts, 2021
Sources: DB, Maroon